Creamy sausage gravy and golden biscuits baked together in a casserole. This delicious meal is a great excuse to invite some friends over for breakfast!
Biscuits and gravy is one of Kale and my favorite breakfast foods. We love to order it at restaurants when we go out for breakfast on the rare occasion. It isn’t the healthiest of foods, so it’s a special treat when I make it at home. 🙂
Today’s recipe is a super easy way to get your biscuits and gravy craving satisfied in a fun casserole. Flaky biscuits puff up and get golden over the sausage and gravy. It is amazing! There is a secret ingredient in this gravy that makes it extra creamy and so yummy. This casserole would be perfect to serve for a brunch party or for guests on the weekend.
When I made and photographed this recipe I just used refrigerated biscuits, and it turned out incredible.
I think this would be even more incredible with homemade biscuits, but I didn’t have the time. The next chance I have to make this I’ll be using my 7-Up Biscuits recipe for it. If you have a little extra time I suggest you try it, too!
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- 1 pound hot or mild sausage (I use turkey sausage)
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 6 ounces cream cheese cubed
- black pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 can (18.3 ounces) refrigerated large biscuits
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Spray a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large non-stick skillet cook and crumble sausage over medium-high heat until browned. Drain any grease.
- In a medium saucepan heat the milk over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Stir constantly until thickened. About 3 or 4 minutes. Add cubed cream cheese to milk and cook and stir until cream cheese is melted and all combined.
- Pour gravy into prepared baking dish. Spread out evenly. Sprinkle cooked sausage evenly over gravy. Top with a little black pepper and pinch of red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Remove biscuits from can and place on top of sausage and gravy. (I only fit 6 for my photos. You can squeeze in the other 2 when you make this OR you can cut up all the biscuits into quarters and place the quarters all over the top.)
- Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until biscuits are golden-brown and cooked through.(You may need to cover the top with foil the last five minutes to prevent tops from burning.)