I started working fulltime again, and let me tell you… it’s been a little rough. Working 8 hours a day and then coming home to fix dinner, pick up the house, do laundry, make lunches, bathe kids, play with kids, give hubby attention, lock myself in the bathroom so I can hear myself think, and do dishes… makes me one tired girl.
I’m trying to keep my eyes open, so I can tell you about this awesome blueberry cake. It is seriously good stuff. Think blueberry muffin, but one hundred times better. You’re just going to have to trust me on this. Make it this coming weekend for breakfast, or the next time you have company come over. It will be a hit!
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, lemon zest and ¾ cup + 1 Tablespoon of the sugar together. Beat until creamy and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of the flour. Set aside.
- Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt together in a seperate bowl. Slowly add flour mixture to wet mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in blueberries.
- Grease a 9x9 inch square pan with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan (batter will be thick).
- Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar evenly over the top of batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Source: Alexandra Cooks