This Candy Cane Cake Roll is one the funnest desserts I’ve made in awhile! Swirls of red and white cake that’s filled with peppermint buttercream. It’s the perfect cake for any Christmas celebration! 🙂
Not only is this cake super cute to look at, it is super delicious. The flavor of the peppermint buttercream balances beautifully with the cake, and the crushed candy canes give it that special holiday feel. My kids loved this cake! Since I’m an extremist I had to serve my slice with some vanilla ice cream. It was beyond delicious!
Candy Cane Cake Roll
Swirls of red and white cake rolled up and filled with peppermint buttercream!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 2 candy canes crushed
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan with parchment or wax paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tarter, baking powder and granulated sugar.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat eggs and water together on high until light and airy; about five minutes.
- Gently fold egg mixture into dry ingredients just until combined. Don't over mix. Divide batter into two separate bowls. Dye one half red.
- Pour one batter down one side of prepared pan. Pour the other half down the other side. (So they're side by side.) Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until white side is golden-brown.
- While cake is baking, lay out a clean kitchen towel. Dust evenly with 1/4 cup powdered sugar. This will ensure the cake does not stick to towel.
- When cake is done baking immediatley flip the cake onto the towel and gently peel away the parchment paper. Roll the cake into the towel. Let cake rest and cool on counter for one to two hours.
- FILLING: Beat together powdered sugar and softened butter until combined and creamy. Mix in peppermint extract. Unroll cake once completely cooled and frost with the filling. Roll cake back up (without the towel) as tight as you can. Cover cake with saran wrap and place in fridge to chill atleast one hour before serving.
- TOPPING: When ready to serve cake unwrap from saran wrap and place cake on a serving platter or large plate. Mix together powdered sugar and milk. Pour evenly over cake then top with crushed candy canes. Slice and serve! 🙂
Adapted from Wine & Glue