Crispy Chicken Egg Rolls with a homemade sweet and sour sauce. You won’t need takeout anymore when you have this amazing recipe!
One of my favorite things in life is to entertain friends and family at my home. I love to cook (obviously) and cooking for people I love makes me extra happy. There’s nothing like having good friends over, great conversation and eating delicious homemade food!
We had our close friends over a few weeks ago, so I made us some Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice. It was a hit, as always. I decided we needed some egg rolls to go with it, so I came up with this recipe for Chicken Egg Rolls.
They are filled with seasoned ground chicken, fresh minced garlic and ginger, cabbage and carrots. They are divine! I deep-fried ours like traditional egg rolls, but I am sure you could bake these in the oven and they would be delicious, too. Serve them up with some sweet and sour sauce and you will be a happy camper!
Chicken Egg Rolls
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 14 egg roll wrappers
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoons water
- 1 quart Vegetable Oil for frying
- In a large, deep skillet add the quart of oil. Heat oil over medium-low heat until it reaches 375 degrees F.
- In a separate large skillet, over medium-high heat, add ground chicken, fresh garlic and ginger. Crumble and brown chicken until thoroughly cooked. Season with salt and pepper.Add the shredded cabbage, carrots and sliced green onion to the chicken and stir to combine. Continue to stir-fry for 5 minutes or until mixture is heated. Turn off heat and remove skillet from burner.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour and water to create a paste. (This paste will help seal the egg rolls before frying)
- Take one egg roll wrapper and lay it on a flat, clean surface, with one corner pointing towards you. Place 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture into the center of the wrapper. Take the bottom corner and fold up over the filling. Fold the two side corners over the center and continue to roll up. Brush a little of the flour paste on the top corner to help seal the egg roll. Repeat process until all egg rolls are wrapped.
- Carefully place 2-3 egg rolls at a time into the hot oil. Fry rolls for 2-3 minutes, using tongs to turn them so they evenly cook on all sides. They are done when they are golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate. Serve with sweet and sour sauce.
33 thoughts on “Chicken Egg Rolls”
Wow! Those look amazing!!!
I have been wanting to make chicken egg rolls..these are perfect! Pinned to try 🙂
These look so good! I love eggrolls 🙂
They look so crisp and GOOD!
Perfection on a plate! I want one of these.
Great for summer nights!!!
I love the recipe
Perfect step-by-step pictures
Love from Spain
Is there anything better than egg rolls? These look delicious, and I love that when you make them at home, you get to know exactly what’s going in. Yum!
It’s also one of my favorite recipes in life, the kids love it especially with some baked and sweet sour chicken.
These look perfect Holly!!!
What a great tutorial —and the sweet and sour sauce ! I am over 60 and have been trying to perfect this sauce, and you nailed it!! I usually use beef but will try this with chicken. This kinda looks like my basic recipe, but I add a bag of froz mixed veggies (the basic) and some fresh bean sprouts. Whatever you have leftover -not in wrappers, just serve over rice. Yum…
Do you think I could make these ahead of time and freeze them? Then cook them in oil from frozen state or would it be better to thaw before frying in oil? Thanks
Robyn, I would imagine these would freeze well and would be fine to fry in the frozen state. But I have never tried it. Please Let me know if you do try it out! Thanks 🙂
Made these tonight, they were wonderful.
I tried these recently and absolutely loved it! Thanks for a great recipe!
Made today with some fried rice,,would not change anything about the recipe, tasted great…Good Job & Thanks for a Great Egg Roll….
Looks yummmy. Must try.
Do the egg wraps have to be super cold before you use them?? I was told that the wrap that you rolled them in have to be super cold or they will tear, is this true???? Thanks
Mine were cold, straight out of the fridge, but that’s about it. I had no problems with tearing. These egg rolls are awesome, I hope you try them! 🙂
Just made these!!! Delicious!!!!!!! Thanks!
Shredded chicken breasts and onions after cooking in my kitchenaid mixer (if you don’t have one you can use a hand mixer and bowl too).
Didn’t have ground chicken.
And accidently purchased wonton wrappers instead of egg rolls so we have little wontons. Still delicious! Thanks!
This was absolutely delicious and the sweet and sour sauce was so good. I made it two nights in a row and could definitely go for a third night.
Do these have to be fried or can I bake them?
You could bake them for sure. It’s been a long time since I have, but I believe I baked mine at 400 degree for around 20 minutes. Hope this helps!
spritz with oil and they are great baked or in an air fryer
These look so good! What do yOU think ABOUT DOING THESE IN THE AIRFRYER. i JUST GOT ONE AND AM LOOKING FOR RECIPIES FOR IT 🙂
These sound terrific. Can you make them in advance and re-heat them at the office?
Hi! Yes you could reheat these for later, but they won’t be a crispy.
I made these for the 2nd time and they were perfect! My family loves them! Thank you!
I love this recipe I make it all the time and my family loves it! The only modification I’ve made is I use a coleslaw mix instead to speed up the process.
Egg rolls are DELICIOUS.
I just made these to go with tonight’s dinner.
I tried one and they are excellent!! I just used half a bag of Coleslaw mix instead of shredding Cabbage. I ground up some boneless skinless thighs in my food processor and cooked it in sesame oil. Next time I will probably add a little salt too.
Thanks for the great recipe! I will never buy store bought frozen egg rolls again!
These are sooo tasty (and easy to make)! For sure, this recipe is a keeper! The sauce was right on. Thanks for sharing!
Try making this sauce: 1/4 cup orange marmalade, 3 tablespoons ketchup and 3 teaspoons soy sauce. It’s perfect on these egg rolls!