Hey friends! I am so excited to share today’s recipe. There is no better way to describe this BAKED SWEET HAWAIIAN CHICKEN than saying it is just the best! Golden chicken coated in a sweet and tangy sauce, with pineapples and bell peppers. This chicken is so incredible!
The timing couldn’t be any better to share this Hawaiian-inspired dish when we just booked our trip to Maui! I am anxiously waiting to eat delicious Hawaiian food when we are there, but until then, this amazing chicken fits the bill. It’s actually a lot like the Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe I posted on my blog five years ago. There’s just a few small differences that make a huge difference in the taste. I can’t say enough good things about this! Try it as soon as you can. 🙂
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts in bite-size pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Place cornstarch in a large bowl, and eggs in a separate medium bowl. Dip chicken pieces in cornstarch to coat, then coat in eggs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook coated chicken, in batches so you don't over-crowd pan, until golden-brown on all sides. (You're not cooking it all the way through. It will finish in the oven.) Place chicken in the prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the sauce ingredients; pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic and cornstarch. Pour evenly over chicken. Sprinkle the tops of chicken with the chopped bell pepper and pineapple.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. (I stir the chicken every 15 minutes so it gets evenly coated in sauce.) Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!