Sweet and Sour Chicken is bite-sized pieces of chicken covered in a delicious sweet and tangy sauce. It is one incredible dish that is packed with flavor!
This Sweet and Sour Chicken is a recipe I’ve been making my family for over 10 years! It’s bite-sized pieces of chicken coated in a flavor-packed sweet and tangy sauce that will only leave you wanting more! My kids have claimed this is better than any takeout Chinese food and I couldn’t agree more with them. 🙂
I will say, this recipe does require a bit more work than your typical weekday casserole, but it is SO worth the little bit of extra effort. Promise!
What makes this chicken so unbelievably delicious is the quick pan-fry before you bake it. Once you get it slightly crispy, you bake the chicken in the oven for about 45 minutes to really let those sweet and sour flavors sink in. Doing this leaves the chicken very tender and bursting with flavor!
One way you could make this dish even better (if that’s even possible) is by adding in some fresh bell peppers and juicy chunks of pineapple. It would make it more like the ‘traditional’ Chinese sweet and sour chicken and would taste absolutely incredible. I love that you can make this from the comfort of your own home that tastes so much better and is so much healthier!
While this recipe does take some time, it is so worth the wait. It also does tend to get a little messy, but you know what they say: a messy kitchen makes for a happy kitchen! 😉
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Start by preheating your oven to 325° degrees F. Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste.Place cornstarch in a shallow dish.Crack eggs into a separate medium bowl. Beat the eggs.Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat, then dip into the eggs.Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and then quickly pan-fry chicken pieces just until slightly browned but not cooked through.Place chicken in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Set aside. Mix all of the sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk. Pour evenly over the chicken. Bake chicken for 45 minutes, uncovered.(During the baking process stir the chicken every 15 minutes so every piece is really coated in sauce and cooks evenly.) Serve and enjoy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!