Chicken Mashed Potato Bowls are layered with one comfort food after the next! Creamy mashed potatoes are topped with breaded chicken, cheese, corn, and gravy. This is one delicious meal!
You know those nights where you just need a bowl full of comfort food? Believe me when I say that here in the Lofthouse we have them often. Who doesn’t love a meal that warms your heart and fills your belly?! These Chicken Mashed Potato Bowls are just that. Each layer has one heartwarming ingredient after the next. They are so simple to make, and my family can’t get enough!
WHAT ARE CHICKEN MASHED POTATO BOWLS?
Homemade mashed potatoes start as the base, then buttery corn and crispy chicken nuggets are added. Melted cheese and creamy gravy finishes it all off for one irresistible dinner!
INGREDIENTS FOR ONE CHICKEN MASHED POTATO BOWL
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 3 ounces cooked chicken nuggets or any cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup of your favorite gravy (we like chicken or turkey gravy)
- 1/4 cup corn
- 3 tablespoons shredded Colby-Jack cheese
HOW DO I MAKE CHICKEN MASHED POTATO BOWLS?
Begin by making the mashed potatoes. I love this dinner because you have so many different options here. If you are making a fresh batch, try my Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes or Crock Pot Creamy Mashed Potatoes. Either of these recipes are great starts. If you have left over mashed potatoes from the previous night’s dinner this is a great way to use them!
Next, prepare the chicken. We personally love the ‘Just Bare’ brand of chicken nuggets that Costco sells. If you have an air fryer, I highly recommend using it for the nuggets. Otherwise, baking them is great too.
As the chicken is cooking, prepare the gravy in a small saucepan on the stove top. A gravy packet works easily for this recipe. In a separate pan cook the corn. Either canned or frozen corn work just fine.
To create the bowl, start with a thick layer of potatoes at the bottom followed by the chicken. Sprinkle the corn and cheese all over the top, then drizzle with gravy. I like to season it all with salt and pepper then sprinkle on a little parsley for color.
WHAT KIND OF CHICKEN NUGGETS SHOULD I USE?
For this recipe I like to use Costco brand Just Bare Lightly Breaded Chicken Breasts Bites. They are the best! They taste just like my favorite nuggets at Chick-Fil-A. If you have a favorite chicken nugget brand, go ahead and use them.
On those days where I want to add a little something extra to a meal I’ll go out and buy a large 20-piece nugget from one of our favorite fast-food spots. When I bring them home to add to the bowls my kids go wild with excitement!
HOW MANY BOWLS DOES THIS RECIPE MAKE?
The recipe stated in the card is enough for one bowl (one serving). One of the beautiful things about this recipe is that you can customize the serving sizes based on how big or hungry your family is! So plan accordingly when making however many bowls you need.
I like to use 6 to 8 small nuggets per serving for an adult, or very hungry kid. I also use about one cup of potatoes per bowl, but you can always use less.
The leftovers are perfect for another bowl the next day!
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE COMFORT MEALS!
Sweet BBQ Beef Sandwiches – Once you have a bite of these tender beef sandwiches coated in sauce, you’ll be hooked!
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup – Whole lasagna noodles bathe in a pool of a tomato and ground beef based soup. It’s a cozy recipe that is perfect for cold days.
Perfect Pot Roast – The ultimate Sunday night meal just got a whole lot better. Slowly cooked beef with roasted vegetables. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Meatloaf Cups – How do you make meatloaf better? Turn them into personal size servings. Your whole family will love this innovative classic.
Chicken Mashed Potato Bowls
- 1 cup warm mashed potatoes
- 3 ounces cooked chicken nuggets (about 6 to 8 nuggets) (we like to use the Just Bare brand of nuggets)
- 1/4 cup prepared gravy of your choice (we like chicken or turkey gravy)
- 1/4 cup cooked corn
- 3 Tablespoons shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Begin by making the mashed potatoes. Any mashed potatoes will do! Try my Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes or Crock Pot Creamy Mashed Potatoes. If you have left over mashed potatoes from the previous night’s dinner this is a great way to use them!
- Cook the chicken nuggets according to their package directions. We like to air-fry ours so they're crispy!
- As the chicken is cooking, prepare the gravy in a small saucepan on the stove top. A gravy packet works easily for this recipe. In a separate pan cook the corn.
- To create the bowl, place 1 cup of potatoes at the bottom of a bowl, followed by the chicken. Sprinkle the corn and cheese all over the top, then drizzle with gravy. Season it all with salt and pepper, then sprinkle on a little parsley for color. Enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Chicken Mashed Potato Bowls”
Could this be made ahead and frozen and then reheated?
Hi Jean! That is a great question. I haven’t tried freezing these bowls because I don’t think they would be as delicious as serving them fresh. I know that you can freeze mashed potatoes beautifully, so if I were to try it I would freeze the bowl with only the mashed potatoes and frozen chicken nuggets together. Don’t cook the nuggets first, keep them frozen. Then reheat those two together in the microwave and add the other ingredients fresh before you eat it. 🙂
These bowls are so good! We used shredded pepper-jack cheese on ours for a kick. Delish!