French Bread Rolls are soft, delicious and one of the easiest roll recipes to make. These are my go-to for dinners, holidays and special occasions!
These French Bread Rolls are my go-to roll recipe. I’m in love with these things! They are so soft, totally delicious, and one of the easiest roll recipes. 😀
Bread and roll making can be tricky sometimes. I totally get that. When I first started using yeast I was so intimidated. But with a little practice and confidence, I promise you anyone can be a star in the roll making department!
MORE ROLL RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
French Bread Rolls
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 3/4 Tablespoon instant yeast (or 1 tablespoon active dry yeast)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large mixing bowl by hand), combine the warm water, yeast, sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups of the flour.(if you are using active dry yeast, instead of instant yeast, let the yeast proof in the warm water and sugar for about 3 to 5 minutes, until it is foamy before adding the oil, salt and flour).Begin mixing then continue to add the rest of the flour gradually until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. (You may not need to use all of the flour the recipe calls for.) The dough should be soft and smooth but still slightly tacky to the touch.
- Knead dough in the stand mixer, or by hand until it is very smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes in a stand mixer, or 8-10 minutes by hand.Lightly spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with lightly greased plastic wrap. Let the dough rise until it has doubled (about 45 minutes to an hour).
- Punch down dough and turn it out onto a lightly greased countertop. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each dough piece into a ball. Place the balls on a lightly greased baking sheet or in a 9×13-inch glass baking pan.Cover rolls with a kitchen towel or lightly greased plastic wrap. Let rolls rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from oven and immediately rub the tops of rolls with butter.
TO FREEZE: Once they are baked and cooled, place rolls in a zipper-lock freezer bag and place in freezer. When ready to eat, take them out to thaw for 5 or so hours or microwave them for about 2-3 minutes on 70% power.