Soft, buttery and lightly sugared Orange Rolls that practically melt in your mouth. These Orange Rolls are a staple at our holiday meals!
I adore these Orange Rolls. They’re another amazing recipe that comes from my Mom. Doesn’t it seem that the recipes handed down from family are always the best? I think so!
These are buttery, soft, lightly sugared, citrus rolls of heaven. No joke. And if you make them correctly, they will melt-in-your-mouth, and leave you wanting 10 more!
I posted these on my blog a couple years ago, but the picture just didn’t do them justice. This picture may not either, but it’s a lot better than the last one. If this new one doesn’t sell you on them, then just take my word for it. They are worth every bit of time and energy you put into them!
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon active-dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- zest of 2 small oranges or 1 large
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add the milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Stir until butter melts. Remove from heat and let stand until lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, mix the yeast, warm water and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let stand 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Once milk/butter mixture is lukewarm, add to the foamy yeast mixture. Stir. Next add in the beaten eggs, and slowly stir in all 4 1/2 cups of flour.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size. (about 1 – 2 hours)
- Once the dough has risen, mix together the filling ingredients. Set aside.
- Punch down dough, and divide in half. Take one half of dough out of bowl, and place onto a floured counter top. (Make sure to flour your hands up good. The dough is very sticky)
- With first half of dough, roll out into a rectangle. Spread half of the filling mix over the dough. Roll up dough lengthwise (like you would cinnamon rolls) Cut into 12 pieces. Place pieces in greased muffin tins.
- Repeat with other half of dough.
- Cover the muffin tins with kitchen towels and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 325 F° for 15 minutes. Enjoy ♥