Sweet and Sour Chicken Casserole is filled with chicken, rice and veggies all coated in sweet and sour sauce. This casserole is so delicious and will be a hit at dinner time!
If you like this recipe then give these ones a try: Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice, Baked Sweet Hawaiian Chicken, Chicken Fried Rice and Hawaiian Fried Rice.
My Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe has been a hit on my blog for almost ten years! It was one of the very first recipes I posted and continues to be popular to this day.
My family loves it too so I make it at least once a month. The other night when we were eating it I thought I could come up with an easier and healthier version. That is when this Sweet and Sour Chicken Casserole was born. 🙂
This casserole comes together easily and is healthier because I don’t bread the chicken. You can bake some chicken and then shred it yourself, or go the easy route and use a rotisserie chicken.
I also like to pre-cook my rice a day in advance and store it in the fridge until I’m ready for it. It makes recipes like these SO much simpler. There’s also something special about day old rice. To me it tastes better and works so well in this casserole!
If you take my advice, and use those two preparations when making this delicious chicken casserole, then dinner will be a breeze to make and not to mention delicious!
Sweet and Sour Chicken Casserole
Recipe type: Casserole, Chicken, Chinese, Main Course
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1.5 lbs cooked chicken breasts (shredded or sliced thin)
- 4 cups cooked white rice (day old, cold rice works best)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (seeds removed)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (seeds removed)
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE:
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup distilled white vinegar
- 2½ Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Spread cooked white rice evenly into prepared pan. Top rice evenly with cooked chicken breast.
- Top chicken evenly with the diced bell peppers, pineapple and carrots.
- SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE: In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the sweet and sour sauce ingredients.
- Pour HALF of the sweet and sour sauce evenly over the top of veggies/chicken.
- Cover pan with foil and bake in oven 35 to 40 minutes.
- Carefully remove pan from oven. Carefully remove foil (it will be hot!) and let casserole stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir the casserole to mix all the chicken, rice and veggies together. Serve each portion with remaining sweet and sour sauce and green onion. Enjoy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!