Sweet Fire Chicken is delicious comfort food with a hint of spice and savory-sweet flavor! It will have everyone asking for seconds.
Raise your hand if you love Chinese food! *raising hand Raise your hand if sometimes you head over to Panda Express to get easy and convenient Chinese food! *raising hand 🙂
If you’re raising your hand then you will love this chicken! It is the copycat version from the Panda Express fast food chain and it is amazing. If you’ve never tried the one from Panda Express then let me tell you about it. Its a sweet chicken that has a little bit of heat. It is delicious! Whenever we eat there my husband always orders it, and I always steal a few pieces from him.
When I found this copycat recipe I was really excited to try it. I surprised Kale with it for dinner the other night and he absolutely loved it. Well, he actually didn’t say he loved it (he never does) but the 3 servings he had told me so! haha. 😉
Sweet Fire Chicken
This delicious chicken has a hint of spice and sweet flavor! It will have everyone wanting more!
Servings 4 -6
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 8 ounce cans pineapple pieces, drained
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes more or less depending on heat tolerance
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons sweet red chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons cold water
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Place flour in a separate bowl. Place cornstarch in a separate bowl.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Toss 1/2 cup of chicken pieces, at a time, into the egg, then toss in the flour, then the cornstarch. Repeat with all chicken pieces until all are coated.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat. Add coated chicken to skillet. Cook and stir until thoroughly cooked, browned and crispy; about 12 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and place in a bowl. Tent with foil and set aside.
- For the Sauce: In a large sauce pan, combine garlic, red pepper flakes, sugar, water, sweet chili sauce and salt. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. In a small bowl stir together the cold water and corn starch. When sauce comes to a boil, add the corn starch slurry to the sauce. Stir constantly until sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low.
- In the same skillet you cooked chicken in (no need to clean) add the bell pepper, onion and pineapple. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes, or until onions start to soften. Add the sauce and chicken to this skillet. Cook and stir until chicken is reheated.
- Serve chicken with rice or noodles!