I figured since I started off the week with a side dish, I’d keep them coming. Today I’m sharing these amazing and creamy mashed potatoes that are made in the crock pot! Yep, you
heard read that right, made in the crock pot!
These crock pot mashed potatoes are dreamy heaven and such a cinch to make! Anything that I can stick in the crock pot and not have to worry about for hours is always nice. I also love that making mashed potatoes this way saves one extra stove-top burner! Especially during the holidays, when you’re cooking 30 different things and your stove-top is full.
This method of cooking mashed potatoes is one I will definitely be using from now on, whether it’s a holiday or not. These are so easy and delicious!
- 5 pounds Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 3/4 cup butter, divided and cut into small pieces
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk
- Peel and then cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Rinse cut potato pieces in cold water.
- Grease a large (6-8 quart) crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Place the cut potatoes into the crock pot. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the 3 cups water, and then dot the tops of potatoes with 1/4 cup of the butter.
- Turn crock pot on high. Cover with lid and cook potatoes for at least 4-5 hours. Potatoes are ready when they are fork tender.
- Carefully, drain the hot water from crock pot, keeping the cooked potatoes inside. (Or you could dump everything into a colander and then put potatoes back in the crock pot). Add the remaining butter, cream cheese and milk. (add milk depending on how thin or thick you like your mashed potatoes)
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until there are no lumps left, and all the butter and cream cheese is combined. Season potatoes with more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve and enjoy!