Tender chicken, fresh veggies, and potato gnocchi simmer in a creamy chicken broth creating this Chicken Gnocchi Soup. It’s a lighter, protein-filled take on the classic soup we all love!
With the endless cold days of winter upon us, I thought we could all use something delicious to keep us warm. This Chicken Gnocchi Soup is one of the yummiest soups ever, but also one of the healthiest and most comforting.
This amazing soup is packed full of protein and vitamins from all the chicken and veggies, meaning you can indulge without feeling guilty. All the fresh ingredients like carrots, onions, celery and spinach, create the most wonderful flavors that will only leave you wanting another bowl. 🙂
What really makes it stand out is the potato gnocchi. Gnocchi is used in Italian cooking and are basically small dumplings. They’re typically made from flour, semolina, or potato. They can taste rather bland on their own, but when added to a soup like this, it makes them taste absolutely divine!
INGREDIENTS IN CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP
Fresh ingredients come together to create this healthy soup that truly wows!
- Chicken: I use freshly cooked chicken breasts to make this soup more protein-filled and macro-friendly, but chicken thighs would work great too. They would add extra flavor but also extra fat.
- Veggies: not only adds some color to the soup, but add extra nutrients too!
- Spices and Seasonings: what I use to give the chicken that delicious flavoring.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Poultry seasoning
- Italian Seasoning
- Gnocchi: wouldn’t be a gnocchi soup without the key ingredient! You can make gnocchi from scratch, but to save on time packaged gnocchi is the way to go.
- Chicken Broth: the base of the soup that gives it all the more chicken flavor.
DO YOU MAKE THE CHICKEN SEPARATE?
Yes! You bake the chicken prior to assembling the soup so when the soup is almost ready, you just add the cooked chicken.
How to make the chicken:
- Season chicken with onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Bake chicken in the oven at 450℉ for 20 minutes (this cooks the chicken fast, but keeps it super juicy). Let stand for 10 minutes after removing from oven. This seals in the juices!
- After the chicken rests after baking, shred or chop it then add it to the soup.
CAN CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP BE MADE IN THE CROCK POT
It certainly can! There’s just a few different steps that you have to follow:
- Place the chicken breasts, celery, onion, and carrots into the crock pot and season with onion and garlic powder, cayenne pepper, poultry seasoning and Italian seasoning. Then pour in the chicken broth. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked, carefully (it will be hot) shred it directly in the crock pot.
- Last, add in the potato gnocchi, half and half, and the spinach. Stir. Cover the crock pot with the lid and let it cook for an additional 45 minutes to an hour, or until the spinach has softened and wilted.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
A few recipes that will also keep you warm this winter!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup: a traditional chicken noodle soup made with egg noodles, carrots, peas and chicken all cooked in a creamy broth!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup: a delicious soup made with tortilla strips, shredded chicken, black beans, cheese and more!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili: tender chicken, green chilies, and hearty white beans come together in this southwest inspired chili!
Crock Pot Taco Soup: a flavorful soup filled with beans, corn, ground beef and taco seasoning!
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package (17 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 2 cups fat-free half and half
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Lay chicken breasts evenly onto pan.Mix together the poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and white pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over all the tops and bottoms of chicken breasts. Bake chicken, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from oven and let chicken stand 10 minutes before chopping into bite-size pieces. Cover chicken pieces with foil and set aside while you prepare soup.
- Spray the inside of a large pot with cooking spray. Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic and dried Italian seasoning. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables become soft and translucent.Pour in chicken broth, salt and pepper. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. After it starts to boil, add in the potato gnocchi. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Let soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked chicken, half and half and baby spinach. Continue to cook soup another five minutes or until spinach is soft and wilted. Serve soup warm in individual bowls and enjoy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!