Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls are a healthy alternative to a delicious burrito. This recipe is lower in calories but just as packed with flavor and protein!
At the beginning of a new year I love to set a few things in motion. Whether it’s a goal I want to obtain, vacations I’m yearning to go on, or delicious meals I look forward to making! I crave Mexican food on the daily, but it would be detrimental to have it all the time. My Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls are the perfect solution to satisfy my Mexican food cravings. This is a fabulous lunch or dinner that can be customized to meet your needs, and hearty enough to fill your family up at dinner.
CHIPOTLE CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS
These bowls are packed with flavor and are healthy to boot! This recipe is especially lean because you use chicken with all your favorite burrito fillings, lettuce, avocado, corn, black beans, and tomato. Topped with a lite dressing and served over a bed of cilantro-lime rice, this dish comes together in perfect harmony for a well-balanced meal.
- Chipotle chicken
- Cilantro-Lime rice
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Sliced avocado
- Black beans
- Diced tomato
Marinate the chipotle chicken for at least 1 hour or overnight for the most flavor. Bake the chicken at 400 degrees F. for 35 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees F. You can also grill the chicken as well. Make sure to let the cooked chicken rest and cool for at least 5 minutes before adding to the bowl. This will ensure the lettuce doesn’t wilt from the heat.
Arrange rice and lettuce into 4 separate bowls. Top each bowl evenly with chicken, rice, avocados, corn, black beans, and tomato. Finish with your favorite dressing! We use my Creamy Tomatillo Dressing. These are also fabulous when they are served with my Homemade Salsa.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BURRITO BOWLS
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s so versatile. You can customize each bowl to your liking because the options are limitless! As previously mentioned, I enjoy making these with my Cilantro-Lime Rice and Creamy Tomatillo Dressing.
You can also try my Mexican Rice as the base. If there is a certain burrito filling that you like, go ahead and add it to it. I’ll sometimes use Pico de Gallo, black olives, jalapenos, etc. You can also top with sour cream, guacamole, or shredded cheese. There are so many ways you can make these!
THE BEST LUNCH
These are great to make for lunches! It is the perfect lunch to keep you full and energized all day. They are healthy and so delicious They can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, so this is a perfect recipe for planning ahead.
PRO TOP: Keep the dressing on the side and only add when you are about to eat to keep everything crisp and fresh. No one likes a soggy salad.
This is another way to keep this dish personal to your likings and needs. The Chipotle chicken is a great way to stay focused on your meal staying lean, and you can even go leaner by using ground turkey. If you like your burritos with steak, pork, beef, or even shrimp you can substitute that meat for the seasoned chicken. You can even go meatless and focus on a veggie heavy bowl. However you decide to make this meal you will be totally satisfied. 😊
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE HEALTHY ALTERNATIVES!
Ultra-Healthy Mexican Chili – Full of vegetables, ground turkey, pinto beans, seasonings and spices this is a lean and flavorful chili.
Hawaiian Chicken Meal Prep Bowls – Loaded with chicken breast, pineapples, and greens this is a light and energizing lunch.
Taco Salad Meal Prep Bowls – All of your favorite taco toppings come together in this perfectly balanced and healthy meal option.
Chicken Taco Bites – Seasoned juicy bite-sized pieces of seasoned chicken that go great with salads, wraps, or tacos!
Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls
Chipotle Chicken Marinade
- 3 Tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons adobo sauce (the sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups cilantro-lime rice (click for my recipe here)
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large Roma tomato, diced
- Light Tomatillo dressing (or use your favorite dressing) (click for my recipe here)
- Place all of the marinade ingredients (except for the chicken) into a blender or food processor. Blend until combined. Place chicken breasts in a large freezer ziplock bag or bowl. Pour marinade all over the chicken and toss to coat. Close bag or cover bowl with lid. Place in fridge for one hour or up to overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Discard any leftover marinade. Place chicken in a greased baking dish. Cover dish with foil. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 35 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees F. (You can also grill the chicken until thoroughly cooked.)Dice cooked chicken in bite size pieces.
- Divide the rice, romaine lettuce, avocado, corn, black beans and tomatoes evenly among 4 medium-size bowls. Divide the cooked, diced Chipotle chicken evenly among the bowls as well. Serve each bowl with desired dressing and enjoy!