Garlic Parmesan French Fries will quickly become your favorite French fry ever. These are double-fried to create a crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside, delicious French fry with loads of flavor!
French fries are my total weakness. I try to eat food like this in moderation, but when I do, I can’t stop. Especially when I make this Garlic Parmesan version. They are total heaven! These are classic French fries with a hint of garlic and cheesy parmesan. They are the most delicious french fries I’ve ever had in my life. No joke. We made them for the Super Bowl and were moaning after each bite! 🙂
I found that there is definitely an art to making homemade French fries. Not that I’ve done it too often, but the few times I have I’ve learned a few tricks. These tricks are the way to create the most perfect, crispy, golden delicious French fries.
First and foremost, soaking the potatoes in water. After you’ve rinsed and sliced the potatoes they need to soak in a bowl of water for at least 2 hours. The longer the better, though. I usually soak mine for about 5 hours. The water releases the starch from the potato and will result in a crispy, yet soft and perfect on the inside French fry.
Second, you need to fry them TWICE. Yep, that’s the magical secret. The first round of frying is just cooking the inside of the French fry. The second frying process will produce a crispy outside that makes for the perfect end result. I’ve heard that fast food places and restaurants do this double-fry method as well. 🙂
After the second fry you can just sprinkle them with regular table salt and you will be amazed at how talented you are at making homemade fries! OR if you want some out-of-this-world amazeball fries, then make the garlic Parmesan version below. You will faint from the deliciousness….
Garlic Parmesan French Fries
- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho or Russet potatoes
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley chopped (or 1/2 Tablespoon dried Parsley)
- Rinse and wash potatoes with water, then peel skins. Slice potatoes into 4 to 5 vertical pieces, then slice those pieces into small sticks. You want them about 1/4 inch thick. Place the potato sticks in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Place bowl in fridge and let soak for at least 2 hours. Up to 12 hours.
- When you’re ready to make the fries, drain the water and then spread the potatoes out evenly onto a paper towel lined baking sheet. Blot potatoes with paper towels to dry them.
- *Please be careful while handling hot oil!
- Heat oil in a large pot to 350 degrees. Carefully fry potatoes in 2 to 3 batches at a time. You don’t want to over crowd the pot. Fry potatoes for 4 to 5 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. You don’t want them brown at this point. Just slightly golden and cooked.
- Lay the fried potatoes onto another paper towel lined baking sheet to drain grease. Repeat frying process with the remaining potatoes.
- Now it’s time for the second fry! Fry the potatoes again, in 2 to 3 batches at a time, for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown!
- Lay the French fries out onto a paper towel lined baking sheet to drain grease. Repeat with all fries. Sprinkle French fries with salt.
- For Garlic Parmesan Fries: Sprinkle the French Fries with the Parmesan cheese, minced garlic and parsley. Toss to coat and then serve immediately!
13 thoughts on “Garlic Parmesan French Fries ~ And How to make Perfect French Fries!”
I could live on these Holly! Garlic fries are the BEST!
They are totally the best! 🙂
This sounds awesome, I’ve been wanting to make something fried and this looks easy.
Matt, these really are easy. Hope you try them and let me know how they turn out!
You make it look so easy and so delicious!
They really are easy! Hope you try them!
I just bought a fryer this month, and it has been the best and worst thing. We now have been trying amazing recipes (like this one!), but also have been having too much fried food. But seriously, these are amazing.
Minnie! I feel your pain! Lol my hubby bought me a little fry daddy and although I love it.. I hate it too.. Cause I want to make fried delicious foods like these fries all the time! Ha! Glad you loved them! They really are amazing!
Yummmm that looks delicious!
Can they be made in air fryer?