Skinny Double Chocolate Muffins are so delicious and made with ingredients that are good for you!
Continuing with healthy recipes for January are these AMAZING, you-would-never-guess-healthy, Skinny Double Chocolate Muffins! These chocolate muffins are so delicious and made with ingredients that are good for you. 🙂
Believe me, I have tried low-fat muffins and do not think they’re so great. These are different. They’re so much better! Moist and so chocolatey (is that a word?)
Applesauce and greek yogurt replace the oil in this recipe, and you use half wheat flour and half white. Not only are they guilt-free and taste delish, they whip up in no time. And no need for an electric mixer!
These muffins are extra delicious served slightly warm, in my opinion. The chocolate chips through out get a little melted, and make these muffins melt in your mouth. 😀
Skinny Double Chocolate Muffins
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt or regular yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips plus a few more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F°. Spray a 12-count muffin tin with cooking spray. (Do Not use cupcake liners, muffins will stick to them!)
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, sugar, honey, egg, greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Whisk them all together until smooth, with no yogurt lumps remaining.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together. Slowly stir in the wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Get any dry pockets of flour out. Fold in the mini chocolate chips. The batter will be a little chunky.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 5 minutes at 425 F°. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the temperature down to 375 F° and continue to bake for 13 more minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of one muffin. If it comes out clean, they are done. If not, bake for only 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 3 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Store muffins in an air-tight container up to 5 days.
Muffins also freeze well, up to 3 months. Microwave for 45 seconds to thaw.