How cute and fun is this dessert! I saw it in a Taste of Home magazine I had saved from a few summers ago. I think it would be so fun to serve at a summer pool party or barbecue. Everyone will think you fussed big time over making such a cute dessert, but it really couldn’t be any easier to make.
All you need is 3 different ice creams, some food coloring, chocolate chips and a freezer-safe bowl. Oh, and some time. Give yourself a day in advance to make it, because it really needs to freeze between each layer, and set overnight. My kids are going to love this when I serve it for dessert tonight! I can’t wait! : )
A fun ice cream cake that looks like a watermelon!
- 1 pint vanilla or green colored ice cream I used Pistachio, softened
- 6-8 drops green food coloring
- 1 pint Vanilla ice cream softened
- 1 pint Strawberry ice cream softened
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Line a 2 quart freezer-safe bowl with plastic wrap. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine pistachio ice cream (or whichever kind of green ice cream you’re using) and green food coloring. Quickly spread green ice cream over the bottom and up the sides to within 1/2 inch of the top of bowl. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- Repeat another layer with vanilla ice cream. Freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberry ice cream and red food coloring; stir in chocolate chips. Spoon into ice cream shell. Cover and freeze overnight.
- Remove from freezer and invert onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Cut into wedges.
27 thoughts on “Watermelon Bombe”
By far the cutest dessert ever!!!!! I am so trying this sometime this Summer!!
That is so fantastic for summer and absolutely adorable!
How cute…! I love the idea! Thank you for sharing this:).
Looks Great! I think I am gonna try it with sherbet 🙂
yum, what a great idea! So cute for the summer! Thanks, my girls will love it!
That is so cute! I think I will wait a while to make it though, since it SNOWED here in ND again yesterday & we still have snow on the ground today.
Very cute, what a fun idea!!
Such a cute dessert! Will definitely be taking to the first family gathering this summer!
That is just too cute!
Cute! I saw this too, glad to see it works!!
Way too cute!
Spectacular!!! Way to go Holly 🙂
How cute! You’re right, it’s the perfect summer dessert. I love it.
That looks so cool. It must be so fun to eat, not mention cool and delicious. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your bombe up. https://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-15.html
Are you kidding me?!?! How cute is this – you did such a great job. I love this!!
I seriously love this!!!!!
That turned out so well. It would be great for any summertime event. Thanks for sharing that one.
How cool is THAT?! that’s neat!
Hi Holly, I told you on FB we did this for Destiny’s 6th birthday party, but what I failed to tell you is we don’t have pistachio ice cream fans, so we did lime sherbet, pineapple sherbet and strawberry sherbet instead. Same instructions, just minus the food coloring. It was really fresh and yummy! As a fellow foodie, I figured you could appreciate some secondary options! lol 🙂 Take care! Tonya
Mmmmm Tonya, I think I would like your sherbet version better! My kids hated the pistachios! Thats the only part they wouldnt eat! lol Next time I’ll make it your way : )
This is so cute! It would be the perfect summertime dessert. 🙂
Okay, this is just super ADORABLE! I love this idea for a summer party. Thanks for the great idea!
What fun!! Perfect for the summer time 🙂
All I need is three flavors of ice cream? No, all I need is a party to go to! These is absolutely adorable. All I want to do is serve it to people and have them ooh and ahh over it. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
What a fabulous idea for summer!
That’s so strange because I was JUST looking at this recipe on the Taste of Home website, and now I saw it on here! I think that means I’m supposed to make it 🙂
LOVE this. It’s so pretty! Thanks for sharing it. 🙂