White Chicken and Spinach Lasagna is full of comforting flavor. This meal is a perfect excuse to gather around the dinner table on any night of the week.
Dinners that are a labor of love just hit differently. You know what I mean. When you take plenty of time to make sure everything is just right, and infuse it with your own personal joy of cooking, everyone can tell. My White Chicken and Spinach Lasagna is just the dish for your next Sunday meal made with love. 🙂
Although this lasagna recipe may take some time to prepare, I’ve found a way to make it a little easier for you. I like to use a good rotisserie chicken from the grocery store in my preparation. This is such a time saver, and this style of chicken is just as flavorful and juicy as when you cook it at home.
Are you ready for a secret ingredient? This will have your guests thinking that you’re a gourmet chef that graduated from culinary school. While making my cheese sauce I add a tiny bit of nutmeg. I know what you’re thinking, nutmeg is for dessert! Yes, it can be, but just way til you try it in this cheese sauce. It will take your tastebuds to the next level.
CAN YOU FREEZE THIS DISH?
Yes! Get everything prepped into a freezer-safe baking dish as instructed, but don’t bake yet. Wrap tightly in foil then place in the freezer. Pull out later for another night, or send off to the neighbors to treat them to a delicious homemade meal. Just thaw in fridge first before baking.
CAN YOU SUBSTITUTE THE CHICKEN?
Absolutely! You can leave the chicken out all together and add more cheese for a meatless lasagna. Or you can use Italian sausage. It would be even more flavorful with the sausage! Just be sure to use cooked sausage and use the same amount you would as the cooked chicken.
HOW MANY DOES THIS DISH SERVE?
This lasagna dish serves 6 hungry family members. You can easily double this recipe to feed more. Just be sure to use a larger baking dish.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE TO FEED YOUR HUNGRY FAMILY WITH!
French Onion Chicken Casserole – A creamy noodle dish filled with chicken breast, fried onions and cream of chicken soup.
Baked Spaghetti – A loaded casserole filled with spaghetti noodles, sauce and cheese, then baked to perfection.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole – This casserole is overflowing with broccoli florets, cheese, and cream of chicken soup.
Sheet Pan Meatloaf Dinner – Mini meatloaves are baked and paired with asparagus and potatoes for the ultimate Sunday dinner.
White Chicken and Spinach Lasagna
white cheese sauce:
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ cups milk (whole milk works best)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 4 ounces chive and onion cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut in bite-size pieces (a rotisserie chicken works perfect for this)
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 7×11-inch baking dish (or an 8×8-inch baking dish) with cooking spray. Set aside.
for white cheese sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, whisk in garlic and flour. Cook for 30 seconds, then slowly whisk in milk. If using the ground nutmeg (which is optional) stir that in now as well. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook until sauce has thickened. Remove saucepan from heat, then stir in cream cheese, parmesan cheese and spinach leaves. Stir until everything is combined and spinach is wilted.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain water then lay noodles out (not touching) onto parchment paper to slightly air dry.In a small bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese and egg until combined.
- Pour 1/4 cup white cheese sauce onto the bottom of the prepared dish. Spread sauce out evenly, then top with 3 lasagna noodles.Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture evenly over the noodles, then spread 1/3 of the cooked chicken, 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese, and then 2/3 cup of the white cheese sauce. Repeat this layer two more times, ending with the sauce.
- Bake lasagna, uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and cheese starts to turn golden-brown. Remove from oven and let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm and enjoy!