This Cheeseburger Soup is one luxurious soup. I mean seriously, it’s award-winning! I’ve had this recipe PINNED on one of my food boards for a looong time and I finally made it the other day. After I scarfed down two bowls (in about 2 minutes) I was kicking myself for not making it sooner!
This awesome soup is cheesy and creamy and filled with flavorful ground beef, potatoes and carrots. It will keep bellies full and happy a long time after it’s eaten. My husband gave me rave reviews after he ate some too, and that is coming from someone who is not the world’s biggest soup fan. No joke. 🙂
I cannot wait to make this delicious soup again, and I know I’ll be making it for years to come. It’s a definite keeper!
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk ( I use 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 oz.) package Velveeta processed cheese, cubed OR 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, dried basil and parsley in a large crock pot. Pour chicken broth over vegetables. Cover with lid. Cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours OR on high heat 4 to 5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- About 45 minutes before serving, cook and crumble ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain any grease. Pour cooked ground beef into crock pot. Carefully wipe out hot skillet with a paper towel then add butter. When butter is melted whisk in flour and cook until golden brown and bubbly (about 1 minute.) Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into the crock pot and stir to combine everything.
- Add the cubed velveeta cheese or shredded cheese to crock pot. Stir again. Cover with lid and cook another 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Cook Time: 6 to 8 hours (because all crock pots heat differently)