We eat a lot of chicken at our house. It’s healthy, it tastes good and there’s a million ways to dress it up! I knew this Mozzarella & Pepperoni version would be awesome. It tastes like pizza without the crust. I changed the original recipe just a little bit. I stuffed ours with turkey-pepperoni, and a slice of mozzarella. Then I coated the chicken in dried Italian bread crumbs. You could make this even more wonderful by adding some fresh cut up veggies too. I think I’ll do that next time. My house smelled heavenly as it baked. This chicken was pure deliciousness!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 (1 ounce) slices Mozzarella cheese, plus 1 cup shredded Mozzarella
- 16 slices pepperoni
- dried basil
- garlic powder
- 1/2 cup dried Italian bread crumbs
- 1 jar Marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Rinse chicken with water, and pat dry. Trim off any visible fat. Cut a deep, horizontal pocket in each piece of chicken. (Be careful not to cut all the way through) Stuff each chicken breast with one slice of Mozzarella cheese and 4 pepperoni slices. Sprinkle the tops of pepperonis with a dash of dried basil and garlic powder. Close the chicken breasts, and secure with a toothpick.
- Spread the bread crumbs in a shallow dish or plate. Dredge each breast into the bread crumbs to coat lightly. Place all the coated and stuffed chicken breasts into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove pan from oven, and then remove the toothpicks from each chicken breast. Pour about 1/4 cup of marinara over each chicken breast. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Place back in oven and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Yields: 4 servings
Adapted from: 10tentimes