I admit to having a small pizza obsession. I could eat it every day and be one happy girl! I promise you, I don’t eat pizza every day, but we do eat it at least once a week. Usually on a Friday or Saturday night. Because of that, I’m always thinking of different ways to create it. I love homemade pizza!
We had not seen our good friends, The Crosby’s, in a while so we invited them over for Sunday dinner last weekend. I made a batch of my favorite homemade pizza dough but still didn’t know what kind of pizza I would make. At the last minute, I dreamed up this Southwest Chicken Pizza. I was a little hesitant to test out a new recipe when we were having guests over, but I had a little feeling it would work.
Let’s just say… it was a hit! Hallelujah!
I used ranch dressing as the base sauce, then topped it with seasoned chicken, black beans, salsa, and lots and lots of Colby-jack cheese! 😛 I think what made it stand out the most was the tortilla strips I added on top! It gave the pizza a nice little crunch. 🙂
- 1 pizza dough crust (search for 'best pizza dough' recipe on my blog)
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (season with salt and pepper)
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup tortilla strips ( I used a store bought kind that was Chili Lime flavored)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray a 16-inch pizza pan or baking sheet with non-stick spray. Add pizza dough and press into the pan.
- Spread the ranch dressing evenly over the pizza dough, then top with 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Top the cheese evenly with the chicken, black beans and salsa. Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese and then the tortilla strips.
- Bake pizza for 13 to 15 minutes, or until edges of pizza are golden-brown and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Top with fresh cilantro, if desired.