Macaroni and Cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods! The other week I was craving it like crazy. I went on the hunt and found a ton of recipes that sounded great. I decided to go with this Baked Mac and Cheese recipe I found from Americas Test Kitchen.
It turned out to be so good. It was creamy, cheesy and totally comforting. My craving was finally satisfied. Oh, and the kiddos loved it too, so it will be a keeper! 🙂
Baked Mac and Cheese
- 4 Tablespoons salted Butter, divided
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- 8 ounces Large Elbow Macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ¾ cups Whole Milk
- 3/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Melt one tablespoon of butter in a small bowl. Mix in the bread crumbs, and set aside.
- In a large pot of water, pour in 1/2 tablespoon of salt and boil the macaroni until tender. About 11 minutes. Drain water. Leave macaroni in the strainer. Set aside.
- Use the same large pot, and carefully wipe it dry (it will be hot!). Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, and melt over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and ground mustard. Cook until fragrant. About 30 seconds or so. Stir in the flour and cook until golden, about a minute. Whisk in milk and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, and continue to cook, whisking often. Cook until mixture has thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in all the cheese. Stir until cheese has completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the macaroni until well combined.
- Pour into a greased 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.