Cheesy Potato Casserole is a mix between the one my Mom used to make, and one I found on the bag of my frozen hash browns a few years ago. This is a perfect side dish to any beef, ham or chicken dinner. I’ve even made it for breakfast!
This cheesy casserole is so comforting and yummy. I actually decided next time I make it, I’m going to throw in some chopped ham, and it’ll be a complete dinner in itself. I love it when you can turn a side dish into a main course with hardly any effort! With our hectic schedule, I am always trying to think of ways to make dinner time easier!
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 1 bag (2 pounds) frozen Hash browns (shredded or diced)
- 2 cans (10 ounces, each) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 container (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup diced ham (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F°. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together cream of mushroom soups, sour cream, onion and 1 ½ cups of the shredded cheese. Mix together well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in frozen hash browns, and chopped ham (if using) and mix all together well. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish; spreading out evenly.
- Bake uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, mix together the crushed corn flakes, melted butter and the last 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- When potatoes are done cooking, remove from oven and sprinkle the top evenly with the corn flake mixture. Place back into oven and bake another 10 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
23 thoughts on “Cheesy Potato Casserole”
I make my hashbrown casserole with sausage, cream of chicken soup, and top it with crushed honey dijon kettle chips. 🙂 yours sounds good to
Holly! This looks so darn good 🙂 Craving it right now.
my mother made a similar one to I will be trying this one this week with the ham steak i just purchesed today 😀
Oh boy, I don’t think you can get any more comforting than this.
my family makes the same casserole. one of my favorite foods by far!!
Thank you for leaving such a nice comment on my blog, Holly! I have a very similar recipe too. A wonderful comfort dish and wonderful to feed a big group!
Ooo, that loos so good and perfect. Potatoes and cheese is always good—one of my favorite combos. 🙂
I make a similar recipe. Delicious. I love the corn flakes in the recipe.
we are trying to do a cheese free month in Sept – but I would love to try this – look SOOO yum! cheers, priya
This is pure and delicious comfort food!
This sounds absolutely delicious and oh so comforting! Girl now you got me craving a big old ham dinner with these amazing potatoes! YUM!!!!
All time BEST potato casserole EVER.
I once had to come up with a Sunday school breakfast on the fly (read that “Oops! Is it my turn already?!”)so I did this casserole and just stirred in some green onions and ham pieces to make it “breakfasty”, it was DELICIOUS too!
love your recipes and site…I do miss the step by step pictures, though! 🙂
holy cow this looks amazing!
I will try this soon..looks delicious
are the potatoes thawed or frozen?
Do you think I could use this recipe in a crockpot? Best sounding one I’ve seen but I want to crockpot it so it stays warm all day.. Thanks!
Try it with cream of chicken soup rather than cream of mushroom. it’s sooooo much better! always love the photos that accompany your recipes.
Thank you Dorothy! 🙂