Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad has layers of amazing Italian flavors. This pasta salad is crazy delicious and so quick to make! It is my go-to dish for barbecues and picnics.
Summer is coming to a close and that makes me a little sad. My kids already started school, so in ways I feel like we’ve waved goodbye to summer, but on the other hand, the temperatures are still hanging in the 100’s here (ouch) so it makes me realize summer’s not quite gone yet.
Most people would say that swimming, going to the beach or lakes is what they love most about summer. For me, it is definitely the backyard barbecues and picnics with friends.
When I think of summer food, I think of pasta salads. Always! They’re delicious, served cold (usually) and will always satisfy in the hot summer heat.
This Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad is one I made over the summer for a barbecue we hosted, and it was the first dish to go! Obviously, that meant it was a huge hit, and that I should have doubled the recipe. 🙂
I’ve now made it multiple times and we still can’t get enough. It has layers of amazing Italian flavors, is crazy delicious, and so quick to make! It is my new go-to dish for barbecues and picnics.
We have served this warm right after I’ve made it, and we’ve eaten it cold. You can’t go wrong no matter how you eat it. Just make it soon and you’ll see what I am talking about! 😉
Love pasta salad? Try these other delicious pasta salad recipes:
Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad
Recipe type: Pasta Salad, Chicken, Side Dish, Pasta
- 1 box (16 ounces) penne pasta
- ½ cup basil pesto
- ¾ cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of water until al dente; according to package directions. Drain water then rinse pasta under cold water to cool. Completely drain all water, then place pasta in a large bowl.
- Pour basil pesto and Italian dressing over the cooled pasta in bowl. Gently toss to combine.
- Add chicken, spinach leaves, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese to pasta. Gently toss to combine everything.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate tightly covered up to 8 hours before serving. Toss pasta salad before serving and add a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese and pepper to each serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: Creme de la Crumb
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST FOOD BOARD!