These Crisp Bean Burritos are filled with cheesy refried beans all wrapped inside a flour tortilla then deep-fried. You can also bake them instead for a lighter version and they will still be delicious!
Crisp Bean Burritos are a copy-cat recipe from the fast food chain Taco Time. I grew up eating at Taco Time and would always order these. They are cheesy-filled bean burritos that are deep fried and filled with flavor. Most people would call these ‘Flautas’, but where I’m from they are called a crisp burrito and they’re darn tasty. 😉
I love that these burritos only require three simple ingredients that you are bound to have on hand. I will make these for quick lunches and dinners for my family and they devour them in no time at all!
If you’re watching calories and fat then you can skip the pan-frying and bake them instead. When I’m trying to be a little bit healthier that’s what I do. Just pop them in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. They will still be crispy and yummy as ever.
This is also a great recipe that you can really play around with. Add cooked chicken, beef or green chiles for the ultimate burrito! But I truly love them just like this. They are simple yet totally delicious! Of course, don’t forget the salsa, sour cream and guacamole to dunk them in. 😉
MORE DELICIOUS BURRITO RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Crisp Bean Burritos
Author: Life in the Lofthouse
- 6 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Set prepared baking sheet in oven.
- Lay tortillas out on a flat surface. Spread about a ⅓ cup refried beans down the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of cheese. Roll tortilla up; keeping ends open. Repeat with remaining tortillas, beans and cheese.
- Using tongs, carefully lay 2 burritos into the skillet, seam-side down. Fry for 30 seconds or until golden brown. Flip burritos onto their other side and fry another 30 seconds. Lay fried burritos onto a paper-towel lined plate to soak up any grease. Using tongs carefully set cooked burritos onto baking sheet in oven to keep warm.
- Repeat frying process with all burritos.
- Once burritos are all cooked serve warm and enjoy with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc.
You can skip the frying step if being health conscience. Once you’ve rolled up the burritos, place them all in a single layer onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Spray the tops of the burritos with cooking spray. Bake burritos for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.