Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole is going to quickly become a family favorite. It’s delicious, filling and so simple to make. It’s comfort food at its best!
Hello everyone! It’s Jodi from 5 Boys Baker. This Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole has very quickly became a favorite at our house. My boys gladly devoured every pan I made while I was recipe testing.
I know there are some casserole haters out there, but you really should give this one a try. If you love enchiladas, you’re going to love this dish.
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole is loaded with chicken, sour cream, cheese, rice and green enchilada sauce. It is so good! I love simple meals like this that can quickly be thrown together and taste amazing. Using a rotisserie chicken makes this even easier, so keep that in mind.
You can top this with sour cream and salsa if you’d like, but honestly it’s so good without any toppings, we just eat it as is. I’m normally one to load my enchiladas up with sour cream, salsa, lettuce and guacamole, but this casserole is so good on its own that I never top it with anything.
I debated over whether to use tortillas in this dish or cooked rice. I opted for the rice and didn’t regret it. Definitely use the pepper jack cheese, it’s adds the perfect bit of kick to this.
CAN I USE TORTILLAS INSTEAD OF COOKED RICE?
You can certainly try tortillas instead of cooked rice.I would tear up pieces of corn or flour tortillas and add them into the chicken mixture instead of the rice.
DO I HAVE TO USE A ROTISSERIE CHICKEN?
No of course not, but I do love the convenience of using a rotisserie chicken. You can cook and shred your own chicken breasts if you’d like.
SIMILAR RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken I use a rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice I use Minute Rice
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can 10 ounces green enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, bring chicken broth, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a simmer. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and flour. Add the flour mixture into the saucepan with the chicken broth mixture and whisk continuously over low heat. Continue to simmer and whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick, about 5 minutes. Set mixture aside.
- In a large bowl add the shredded chicken, cooked rice, sour cream, 3/4 cup of each of the cheeses, the cooked chicken broth mixture, salt, cumin and green enchilada sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Pour into a casserole dish (I use one that is just smaller than a 9x13). Spread remaining cheeses on top and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
To reheat place pan in fridge to let thaw up to 24 hours. Bake as directed. Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe by: 5 Boys Baker.com
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!