Loaded Totchos are crispy tater tots loaded with crispy bacon, Colby-Jack cheese, and spicy fry sauce. You can also add any extra toppings you enjoy. The sky is the limit with this delicious recipe!
I can’t think of anything more comforting than a dish where potatoes are the star. Especially when it comes to snacks. Potato chips, French fries, and of course, tater tots! I first discovered this miraculous dish while in Maui with our friends. We were staring at the ocean waves, enjoying a few cold drinks, and snacking on these amazing totchos. I knew instantly I would need to recreate them for my blog. These Loaded Totchos are a fantastic fusion of both nachos and tater tots. What’s not to love?
This incredible appetizer starts with a base of golden fried tater tots. First, let’s take a moment here to appreciate the tater tot. It can get overlooked and overshadowed by the more popular French fry. Tots are light nuggets of deliciousness that deserve to be recognized. These fried potatoes are then topped with traditional nacho ingredients including Colby-Jack cheese, crispy bacon, green onion, and spicy fry sauce. Not sure what fry sauce is? We’ll get to that special ingredient a little later. 😉
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE LOADED TOTCHOS
- Frozen tater tots
- Shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- Chopped bacon
- Sliced green onion
- Spicy fry sauce
HOW TO MAKE LOADED TOTCHOS
Bake or Air-fry frozen tater tots according to their package directions. Once cooked, place tots in a single layer on a large cooking sheet.
While the tater tots are cooking, pan fry 6 strips of bacon in a skillet. Once they have been cooked and are properly crispy, remove them from the pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up any excess grease. Chop up bacon.
Sprinkle the shredded cheese and chopped bacon all over the cooked tater tots. Place in oven and bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Carefully remove from oven.
Sprinkle the tops with green onion and serve with spicy fry sauce. Regular nachos are finger food, but I highly recommend using a fork for this recipe.
WHAT IS SPICY FRY SAUCE?
Those of you that are from Utah, you know what fry sauce is. For those of you that don’t know, make sure to check out my recipe for my Homemade Fry Sauce. Essentially it is the marriage between mayonnaise and ketchup that has the heart, and taste buds, of every Utahn.
Now, to make this life changing dipping sauce even better all you need to do is add a little cayenne pepper. This will give it the right amount of smokey heat that isn’t too overpowering. You can also try adding Tabasco sauce, or a dash of your favorite hot sauce into the mixture. I am telling you what, you’re going to want to put it on everything!
HOW MANY SERVINGS DOES THIS MAKE?
This recipe makes about 6 servings. If you need to serve more you can easily double the recipe. Loaded Totchos are one of the best sharing appetizers out there! I highly doubt that you will find someone who won’t want at least a few bites.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE OF MY FAVORITES TO SHARE!
Crock Pot Queso Blanco Dip – Grab the nearest chip and plunge it right into this creamy, and cheesy dip!
Taco Bites – Each bite is filled with taco flavor with the seasoned ground beef, cheese and salsa.
Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos – Crispy chips, shredded chicken, cheese, and plenty of other traditional toppings piled on one another for a great one pan dinner.
Parmesan Ranch Potato Chips – This easy snack is one that takes only minutes to make! Crispy potato chips infused with your very own parmesan and ranch seasoning.
- 1 bag (28 ounces) frozen tater tots
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 cups freshly shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- sliced green onion
- 1 cup fry sauce OR try my Homemade Fry Sauce recipe
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bake or Air-fry frozen tater tots according to their package directions. Once cooked, place tots in a single layer on a large cooking sheet.
- While the tater tots are cooking, pan fry 6 strips of bacon in a skillet. Once cooked and properly crispy, remove from pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up any excess grease. Chop bacon.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese and chopped bacon all over the cooked tater tots. Place in oven and bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Carefully remove from oven.
- Add desired amount of cayenne pepper to the fry sauce. Start with less and add as needed to desired heat tolerance. Stir well, then set aside. Sprinkle the tops of totchos with green onion and serve with spicy fry sauce. Enjoy!