Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa is simple, healthy and so delicious. The perfect meal for those crazy, busy nights. Just let your slow cooker do all the work. Your family is going to love this!
Hi everyone! It’s Jodi from 5 Boys Baker. I hope your summer has gotten off to a great start! Today I am sharing a delicious slow cooker meal that your whole family is going to love. I don’t know about you, but I use my slow cooker a lot in the summer. If I can avoid turning my oven on when it’s 90+ degrees outside, then I’m all over it.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa has fallen into my “favorites” category when it comes to slow cooker meals. It’s healthy, loaded with quinoa, veggies, ground chicken and topped with lots of cheese. It’s packed not only with protein, but with fantastic flavor.
There are so many days when I tell myself, “Today I’m not going to eat any treats or sugar,” and then it lasts for about 23 minutes. 😉 Before I know it, I’m grabbing a frozen chocolate chip cookie or a frozen cookie dough ball out of the freezer, or eating a handful of chewy nerds or some Dove chocolate, etc. Yes, I clearly have issues, so I tell myself that healthy meals like this quinoa dish help balance out all those treats I eat during the day (haha).
Another thing I love about this slow cooker meal is that it takes almost zero effort to make. Other than cooking the ground chicken beforehand, you literally dump everything in your slow cooker, turn it on and walk away. That’s it, you’re done, easy peasy! In just a few short hours, you’ll have a fantastic, healthy, flavorful weeknight dinner! It’s a beautiful thing. When it’s done, just stir in some cheese and sprinkle more cheese on top.
CAN I USE GROUND TURKEY INSTEAD OF CHICKEN?
Absolutely! Chicken or ground turkey work perfectly in this, so use whatever you love best. Or change it up and make it one time with ground chicken and the next time with ground turkey, it’s up to you.
DO I HAVE TO USE CHICKEN BROTH?
Chicken broth adds flavor to this dish, but you can use water instead if you’d like to. Either will work just fine.
HOW SHOULD I SERVE THIS?
One of the things I love about this is how versatile it is. You can eat it on its own garnished with any of the toppings listed, you can dip tortilla chips into it, fill taco shells or tortillas with it, etc. Anyway you eat this you’re going to love it. We also love to drizzle it with homemade Cafe Rio dressing.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa
Recipe type: Main Course, chicken, slow cooker
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1½ cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can (15.5-ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (10 oz) Ro-tel tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (10 oz) red enchilada sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste, if needed
- Garnishes: (optional)
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Sour Cream
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble ground chicken until no longer pink. Place in a greased slow cooker.
- Add the uncooked quinoa, black beans, frozen corn, tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, enchilada sauce, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander. Give it a good stir and then place the lid on and cook on high heat for 3 hours or low heat 5 to 6 hours, or until the liquid is all absorbed into the mixture.
- Remove the lid and stir everything again. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Stir in the half the cheese and sprinkle the other half on top. Replace the lid and let the cheese melt. Top with desired toppings. Enjoy!