This Sour Cream Noodle Bake has comfort food written all over it! Noodles, ground beef, tomato sauce and lots of cheese are all inside this dish that your family is going to love!
I’ve found another easy and delicious dinner recipe for my family and this Sour Cream Noodle Bake is it! This recipe comes from the amazing Pioneer Woman aka. my idol. Love her!
This noodle bake is simple to throw together and totally yummy. My whole family loved it. The only thing I changed was added a little extra tomato sauce. I thought it needed it but everything else was perfect. I served ours with some garlic bread twists and a green salad. It was a perfect and easy weeknight meal.
Oh, and real quick- I am NOT a cottage cheese fan at all yet there’s cottage cheese in this recipe. You can’t taste it (in my opinion) it just gives it some extra cheesy goodness, and that’s never a problem with me. 😉
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Easy Thai Noodles
Chicken Noodle Bake
Red and White Pasta
Creamy Pasta Primavera
Sour Cream Noodle Bake
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces dried egg noodles
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 ¼ cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, brown and crumble the ground beef. Drain grease, then add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper to skillet. Stir mixture and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil egg noodles in a large pot of water until al dente. Drain water. Set noodles aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese, stir together and then stir in the egg noodles. Sprinkle with a little black pepper and gently stir mixture to coat the noodles. Stir in green onions.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick spray. Layer half the noodles in the bottom of the pan, spread out evenly. Spread half of the meat mixture over the noodles, sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat layers again, with remaining noodles, the rest of the meat mixture and then ending with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy! ♥
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
33 thoughts on “Sour Cream Noodle Bake”
One of my favorite dishes ever! (and I add extra tomato sauce too)
Um, this is FAR too delicious looking! Beautiful photography!! Tiff
Enjoyed this tonight for Sunday supper. It was great!
My family really enjoy this! Definite keeper for our house! Surprised I can’t pin to pintrest.
I made this tonight. AWESOME! I love how the sour cream and cottage cheese stick to the noodles and the cheese makes everything gooey, yummy!
Looks so good can’t wait to try this, which is going to be tonight….just wondering if we can use like Prego instead of tomato sauce, just wondering…
You could definitely use any spaghetti sauce instead of the tomato! It will only make the flavor better, in my opinion 😀
Try substituting 8 oz of cream cheese & 1/2 cup of milk instead of cottage cheese & sour cream . Add 1 bunch of sliced green onions to noodles . Add 1 can of Rotel tomatoes ( they have green chilis) to hamburger & sauce mixture . My family has been making this for 40 years . We call it Green Onion Casserole . Delicious !
Best tweak Ever! I followed your suggestion with the cream cheese and Rotel. It was excellent.
It looks delicious, but I don’t do cottage cheese. Can ricotta cheese be substituted?
Can I put in 2 8×8 pans, make one and freeze one?
Yes, perfect idea! 😀
This looks like something my DH would like..even 8×8 pans will yield too much for us..I might try smaller pans and freeze. Cooking for two is sometimes more difficult then cooking for a crowd. I’ve been meaning to buy some of those square plates. Doesn’t the meal look so appetizing in them? I’ll put those on my shopping list, the next time I go to Walmart or Target or BB&B.
What does DH stand for?
DH stands for Dear (or darn) Husband!
I shopped for the ingredients today and can’t wait to make it for dinner tomorrow,
My entire family loves this noodle bake. Super good reheated the next day. Thanks for the receipe.
Can this be considered gluten free?
I wonder if mozzarella cheese would taste better than cheddar???
why is two sizes of tomato sauce listed????
Because you need both sizes! One 15 ounce and one 8 ounce.
This is absolutely delicious! I used the whole bag of noodles (12 oz instead of 8) and it still wasn’t dry (although my can of sauce was 24 oz instead of 23, so that may have helped). Had plenty of leftovers for lunch for work.
Yay, so happy you loved it!
We love this! Made it a few days ago! I use my favorite spaghetti sauce when I make it.
i’m making this tonight and i’m super excited about it. unfortunately My grocery store was out of green onions…wth? i have a white onion though. do you think it’ll mess with the taste if i add that instead of green? or maybe add the onion when cooking the meat?
I personally wouldn’t use the white onion. You can just leave out the onion all together and it will still taste great! 🙂
Can I make this ahead of time and put in the refrigerator?
Yes Lisa, you can make it all up until the baking point. Don’t bake. Cover with saran wrap and let sit in fridge for up to 24 hours before baking. 🙂 Then bake as directed, but you may need to cook a little longer because it’s going in the oven cold.
just to makE sure, two cans of tomato sauce? Just different sizes?
Yes, you’ll need one 15 ounce can and one 8 ounce can 🙂
Made with spicy spaghetti sauce. We loved it! I make a similar one with cheddar cheese soup. Thanks for a twist on that casserole.