We’ve been back from Hawaii for 2 days and I’m still jet-lagged. Ugh. That four hour time difference has been rough adjusting back to. I heard that coming back from the west is harder on you than the east.. Not sure why but I have to agree. Anywho- so my friendly little crock pot has saved me again for super easy dinners I can just throw together. This Crock Pot Creamy Lemon Chicken was one of them. This chicken was not only delicious but so simple to make with only one extra step.
When I say extra step I’m referring to the browning or blackening of the chicken first. I know a lot of people don’t like doing this in crock pot recipes but I assure you it is worth it! It adds SO much extra flavor to this wonderful lemon chicken. 😀 This is definitely a new favorite. The entire fam enjoyed every last bite!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, depending on taste
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Sprinkle each side of chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. In large skillet over medium high heat melt butter with olive oil. Add onion and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Move onions and garlic to side of pan and add seasoned chicken. Saute for about 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely browned. Transfer to the crock pot. Add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken and cover to keep warm.
- Add cream, mustard and lemon juice to crock pot and whisk. To thicken sauce whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Continue to stir until thickened. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour creamy lemon sauce over chicken then serve. Enjoy!