All the flavors of traditional and delicious Chicken Cordon Bleu but in casserole form. This easy dish is a family-favorite at dinner time!
I love making casseroles any time of the year. They’re typically easy, delicious, and filled with ingredients I always have on hand. This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole has become the latest family-favorite of ours!
Layers of chicken, ham, Swiss cheese and a super simple sauce, this casserole comes together easily. You bake it to perfection then serve it over cooked egg noodles, rice or whatever your heart desires.
CHICKEN CORDON BLEU CASSEROLE
Have you ever tried a traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu entrée? It is something worthy of being a masterpiece. A chicken breast is rolled around a succulent slice of ham with Swiss cheese in the middle. This piece of chicken is then breaded and baked until the chicken is cooked through. Once you slice it open all the cheese begins to ooze out, and it becomes a thing of beauty.
This recipe gives you everything that’s delicious about this dinner, but without all the hassle. Each chicken breast is sliced into bite-size pieces and then topped with panko breadcrumbs, milk and eggs. Next, is a layer of ham and Swiss cheese. It then gets topped with a creamy chicken mixture and then baked until it’s bubbling and golden.
- 3 small chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 & 1/3 cups milk, divided
- 1 large egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces deli ham, cubed
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, cubed
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) cream of chicken soup
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Lay the chicken pieces into the bottom of the prepared dish. Spread out evenly.
In a large bowl, whisk a 1/3 cup of milk and the large egg together until combined. Pour this mixture evenly over the chicken pieces. Sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs all over the top. Season with salt and pepper. Top the breadcrumbs evenly with the ham and Swiss cheese.
Whisk chicken soup and the remaining 1 cup of milk. Pour mixture evenly over everything. Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
SIDE DISH OPTIONS
I like to serve this casserole over cooked egg noodles or steamed white rice. Both give a solid, good carbohydrate base, so you feel full and satisfied. A small side green salad goes a long way as well to help balance everything out. Another vegetable side that will make this an elegant meal is my Parmesan Roasted Broccoli.
This casserole serves 6 adult-size servings.
Try adding crumbled bacon over the top just as the dish is finishing. It will blow your mind at how much flavor it adds to the dish! If you want to really make this a 5-star presentation just add a little minced parsley over the top after it’s finished baking to add a pop of color.
ENJOY CHICKEN CORDON BLEU AS MUCH AS I DO? HERE ARE A FEW MORE INSPIRED RECIPES!
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu – A simple, sophisticated meal that will have your family thinking you’re a part time Michelin star chef. Chicken, ham, Swiss cheese, and a creamy sauce.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna – Your favorite French dish just got renovated as an Italian classic. Tender lasagna noodle with layers of ham, Swiss cheese, and a creamy sauce.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Stuffed Shells – Jumbo pasta shells are cooked until al dente then stuffed with ham, bacon, Swiss cheese, and a creamy sauce, then baked to perfection.
Malibu Chicken – Tender chicken breast is topped with melted Swiss cheese, sliced ham, a crispy coating, and a honey mustard sauce.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 3 small chicken breasts cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 ⅓ cups milk divided
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 8 ounces deli ham cubed
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese cubed
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) cream of chicken soup (or use this homemade recipe)
- cooked egg noodles or rice to serve with
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Lay the chicken pieces evenly into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk a 1/3 cup of the milk and the large egg together until combined. Pour this mixture evenly over the chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs all over the top. Season with salt and pepper. Top the breadcrumbs evenly with the ham and Swiss cheese.
- Whisk chicken soup and the remaining 1 cup of milk. Pour mixture evenly over everything. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve over cooked egg noodles or rice. Enjoy!