A delicious and easy Chow Mein recipe you can make right at home! You don’t need takeout with a classic chow mein recipe like this!
I’m just now realizing I’ve been on a copycat recipes streak lately. ha! I recently shared the McDonald’s Shamrock Shake, IHOP Pancakes and today’s copycat is Panda Express’ Chow Mein! I have to say this one is my favorite. It tastes like the one from Panda Express but better!
I tricked my kids when I served this yummy chow mein with our favorite baked sweet and sour chicken. I made the noodles and photographed them while they were at school, so when I served it at dinner they thought I had picked it up from the restaurant.
They ate it up in just minutes and all asked for seconds. After we were finished eating I told them that I had made it from scratch! They couldn’t believe it. Kallen said, “Mom, yours is WAY better than Pandas!” 😀 Gosh, I love that kid. And I agreed with him 100%.
Another bonus about this recipe is that it is easy. TOO easy. Literally ready in about 8 minutes or so, and that’s just because you have to chop up a few vegetables!
You can find Oyster sauce in the Asian food section of your grocery store- right by the soy sauce. The noodles are in the produce section. The Yakisoba brand has a few different noodle options. I used the stir-fry noodles that are refrigerated. So just FYI.
I hope you all give this delicious recipe a try and let me know what you think! I know I’ll definitely be making them again in the near future. 🙂
Chow Mein (copycat)
- 2 packages (7.32 ounces, each) refrigerated Stir-Fry Yakisoba Noodles (discard the spice packet)
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green cabbage
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil to skillet and heat.Add chopped onion, cabbage and celery. Stir and cook until vegetables start to caramelize and become tender. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in microwave for 1 minute (according to package instructions.)
- Rinse noodles in warm water and drain. Add to vegetables in skillet. Pour in soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir until everything is combined. Serve immediately and enjoy!