French Onion Dip will become a magnet at your next party. Everyone will be hustling to the table to get another bite of this incredible dip!
French Onion Dip is always one of the first things to disappear at every party I host. I love making it for that very reason alone! Once you have your first bite of this dip, you’ll reach for your second before you’re done chewing. My French Onion Dip is creamy, savory and irresistible. With this recipe you’ll have a fantastic homemade dip ready for your guests in less than 30 minutes.
HOW IS THIS DIP SO GOOD?
People always ask me with a mouthful of this dip, “What’s your secret ingredient?” My friends, there is only one simple thing you need to do to ensure that this dip is stellar: Sauteed onions. They add a recognizable layer of decadence. All you need is butter, finely minced yellow onion, and 10 to 20 minutes. Once the onions render down, they will soften and bring forward a savory note that truly makes this dip. While the onions cook, mix all the other ingredients in a separate bowl. Combine when done and the dip is ready to serve.
WHAT DO I DIP IN THE DIP?
Here in the Lofthouse we love Ruffles potato chips. I say this with honest sincerity, I have yet to find something that didn’t taste better after I dipped it into my French Onion Dip. A good crisp, wavy, salty chip is the perfect pairing. We have tried various flavors of chips with this dip, and each one of them has been amazing. Vegetables, bread, crackers, and almost any other party snack you can think of will taste amazing after a dunk in this dip.
HOW DO I SERVE THE DIP?
To switch things up, I like to cut out a large round loaf of bread and serve it in a bread bowl. This way I can hollow out and cut up the remaining pieces of bread so they can be used as a dipping vehicle.
One batch will be perfect for a small gathering, but if you are hosting a larger party I recommend doubling up or even tripling the recipe.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE OF MY FAVORITES TO SERVE AT PARTIES!
Warm Pizza Dip – A creamy and cheese warm dip with all your favorite pizza toppings!
French Dip Crescents – Little and savory roast beef and cheese sandwiches rolled in a crescent and served with warm au jus.
Warm Bean Dip – Refried beans and cheese melted together that is perfect on a crisp tortilla chip.
Cookie Dough Dip – A sweet dessert dip that is perfect for all the cookie dough lovers out there.
French Onion Dip
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped finely
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons freshly chopped chives optional
- Ruffles potato chips (that's what we prefer) or any type of chips and crackers for dipping
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, add butter and oil. Add chopped onions when butter melts. Stir onions often until they turn a golden brown and start to caramelize. This can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on the size of your pan. Add in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, when the onions are cooking. The water will absorb from the heat.
- In the meantime, combine the sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of chives in a medium bowl.
- Add the cooked onions to the dip mixture and stir until combined. Place the dip in the refrigerator for an hour before serving and top with leftover chives. Stir one more time when chilled and sprinkle more chives on top. Dip with your favorite chips!*If you like your dip on the thinner side you can always use more sour cream.