Loaded Baked Potato Soup is a soup I can never resist. Chunks of potato, bacon and cheese sit inside this wonderful creamy soup that always hits the spot!
When I think of soup my mind fills with comforting, and hearty flavors. I want a warm bowl of homemade love that is going to fill me up and put a smile across my face. My Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe is just that. This is one of my favorite soups to make every single fall and winter.
Every time I make baked potatoes at home, I serve a slew of toppings on the side so that everyone can customize their very own potato. I do the exact same thing when I serve this wonderful dish.
I will set out all kinds of toppings; bacon, green onion, sour cream and an assortment of cheeses. Sometimes I even make ground beef to add to it. This way everyone is happy with whatever ends up in their own bowl!
This recipe is a crowd pleaser that will have your kids licking their bowls clean!
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH THE SOUP?
Serve this with a green salad and it creates the perfect dinner.
CAN I USE FROZEN POTATOES?
I feel fresh potatoes give you the best results, but if needed, you can use a bag of frozen potatoes.
HOW LONG DOES THE SOUP KEEP?
Store soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE SOUPS TO WARM YOU UP!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup – A cheesy and rich soup that is perfect on a cold day.
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup – This classic soup is filled with chicken and vegetables and is sure to bring joy to your dinner table.
Crock Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup – This creamy soup is hearty and packed with chicken, veggies, and wild grain rice.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Soup – A filling soup inspired by south of the border flavors that packs a little heat and a ton of protein!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 4 to 5 medium russet potatoes
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour divided
- 6 cups milk I used 2%
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped green onion
- Chopped cooked bacon pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prick the potatoes all over with a fork and then place on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven, and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Scoop the insides of the potatoes into a large bowl, discarding the peels. Take a knife and break apart the potatoes into small chunks.
- In a large dutch oven or pot, melt the butter. Add the flour into the pot and whisk into the butter. Cook, and whisk constantly for 1 minute, or until golden brown. Whisk in the milk. Cook until thick and bubbly, about 10 or so minutes.Mix in the potato chunks. Whisk in the salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. Continue to whisk until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat, then stir in sour cream and green onions. Serve immediately. Garnish with extra sour cream, cheese, green onion and bacon, as desired. Enjoy ♥
13 thoughts on “Loaded Baked Potato Soup”
I am going to make this for dinner tonight! Thanks for all of your amazing recipes! Bon appetite! 🙂
I would’ve used those exact same toppings. Delicious!
This looks SO good, Holly! I love soup for the wintertime and surprisingly, I’ve never actually made homemade potato soup! Extra bacon and green onions on mine, please 🙂
Yummy Yummy for my Tummy! I would absolutely LOVE this. Thanks for sharing.
One of my favorite soups! I crave it all the time when it’s cold outside.
What a wonderful recipe!. I´m going to add it to my favourites and make it.
Thanks for sharing.
Love from the north of Spain
This soup looks so wonderful. I am making this recipe this week.
Wow..really nice article. I think you done great work. it will help me a lot.Thank you for sharing such a nice information.
Pizza delivery frankfort il
Holly, I adore this kind of soup! And your recipe looks perfect!!! It will be on my menu soon~
I am making this tonight for my dinner and I can’t wait to try it when it’s done!! I searched tons of potato soup recipes and yours is the only one that sounded good! 🙂
I made this for dinner last night. This was probably the easiest homemade potato soup I’ve ever made. The only change I’ll make when I make it again is to add some diced up onion to that butter in the beginning, just because we love onion that much. I was fortunate enough to have fresh chives right out of my garden to put on top of our bowls, and it was awesome!
I made this soup for dinner tonight and it was really REALLY good! I don’t know if I can have a baked potato ever again, because it just doesn’t compare to this soup! I added a little bit of cumin and chili powder because I love chili on my baked potatoes and it was great! I will definitely make this again.
It’s cold outside and thought I’d try the loaded baked potatoe soup! It was a hit! My husband and I loved it!