Pumpkin Roll Cake is an easy and delicious pumpkin cake with a cream cheese filling. It tastes just like a classic pumpkin roll but in cake form!
As you all know I love the fall season because we have months with pumpkin flavored desserts. I truly love pumpkin flavored anything! I was searching through my recipes, shopping for a dessert to make, when a lightbulb above my head turned on. That is the moment this Pumpkin Roll Cake was born.
Roll out the red carpet for this cake because it is a winner! This recipe is an easier take on a traditional pumpkin roll with just as much flavor. Two thick layers of pumpkin cake with a creamy center of homemade cream cheese filling. This is the perfect dessert to serve for the entire fall and winter season.
Serve this with a warm cup of hot cocoa and a little whipped cream on top of both. That right there, my friends, is what makes the happiest season of all! I also like to save a piece of Pumpkin Roll Cake to have with my morning coffee. *insert chef’s kiss* This will become your favorite way to wake up on a crisp fall morning.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE A BOXED CAKE MIX?
Yes, a boxed pumpkin spiced cake mix can be substituted.
HOW MANY SERVINGS DOES THIS MAKE?
This recipe yields 12 perfect slices of cake.
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH THE CAKE?
Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or both!
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE FALL DESSERTS!
Pumpkin Rolls – A soft pumpkin flavored cake wrapped around a sweet cream cheese center.
Caramel Apple Sheet Cake – Delicious cinnamon apple sheet cake with a warm caramel glaze.
Pumpkin Torte – A tiered pumpkin cake layered with whipped cream and topped with caramel and toffee pieces.
Pumpkin Cobbler – A warm and rich pumpkin cake dessert best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Pumpkin Roll Cake
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9x13-inch glass baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs, pumpkin, milk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and stir until combined. Pour 2/3 of the pumpkin batter into prepared baking dish.
FOR CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add the egg, 1/4 cup sugar and teaspoon vanilla. Continue to beat until smooth and combined.
- Spread cream cheese filling evenly over pumpkin batter in pan. Spoon the remaining pumpkin batter over cream cheese layer and smooth out in an even layer. Using a knife, trace the pan in a swirl motion to marble the cream cheese and pumpkin layers together.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake before slicing. Serve each slice with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!