Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a recipe I’ve been making forever. It’s healthy, delicious and so easy to make. It’s another slow cooker recipe win!
My Mom first made this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup for Christmas Eve about eighteen years ago. I was living in Bullhead City, AZ at the time. Back then I always looked forward to come up to St. George, visit my family, and get to eat my Mom’s home cooking.
I fell in-love at first bite when Mom first made us this Chicken Tortilla Soup. We all loved it so much I’ve been making it ever since. She found the recipe from a Light Cookbook (I’m sorry I would acknowledge which one but I don’t remember). It is a light recipe, until after you start adding all the delicious toppings. Cheese, sour cream and of course tortilla strips. ha! I believe those are a must when enjoying this delicious soup. 😉
The recipe she found was not a slow cooker version. It’s made on the stove top. I took the liberty of trying it in my crock pot and the rest is history. 😉
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is healthy, delicious and so easy to make. It’s another slow cooker recipe win and the perfect soup!
MORE DELICIOUS SOUP RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 2 cans (10.5 ounces, each) Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies undrained
- 1 can (29 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans rinsed and drained
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a greased 7 quart slow cooker. Place all remaining ingredients over chicken. Stir to combine. Cover with lid and cook on low heat 6 hours or high heat for 4 hours. Carefully remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a large plate or platter. Shred with two forks.
- Place shredded chicken back in slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Serve soup warm with favorite toppings: cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, etc.
OR you can reheat on the stovetop in a large pot over medium heat until warmed through.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!