There’s nothing quite like a bowl of Tomato Basil Soup with a grilled cheese sandwich to dunk in it. This meal is comfort food at it’s finest!
This Tomato Basil Soup is the bomb. It has amazing flavor, and is so comforting. The only thing I thought would make it even better…
Grilled cheese. Oh yes, a warm and delightful crispy on the outside, and cheese on the inside, grilled cheese!
Mozzarella grilled cheese sandwiches to be exact.
Dip these babies in that tomato soup, and you will be a happy camper, my friends.
Tomato Basil Soup
Servings 4 to 6
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces, each) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 large fresh basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic. Stir and cook for 30 seconds. Add onion. Stir and cook until translucent. About 6 or so minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes (undrained) chicken broth and sugar. Stir and bring to a low simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until soup thickens a bit.
- Stir in heavy cream, chopped basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender (or carefully transfer soup to a blender. If you use a blender be very careful handling this very hot soup), puree soup until there are no large chunks left.
- Serve soup in bowls with the grilled Mozzarella cheese sandwiches. Enjoy!
Grilled Mozzarella Sandwiches
- 1 pound fresh whole milk Mozzarella cut into thin slices
- 8 1/2 inch thick firm white sandwich bread slices
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon course salt
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place 2-4 slices of mozzarella on 4 pieces of bread. Top with other pieces of bread to form sandwiches.
- In a wide shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the half & half, thyme, salt and nutmeg. Whisk well to combine.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and cook until sizzling stops.
- Dip 2 of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning to coat. Place sandwiches in the pan and cook until golden brown on the first side ( about 2 minutes). Flip over and brown on the other side.
- Transfer sandwiches to a platter and repeat process with other 2 sandwiches.
- Cut sandwiches in half, and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from: Martha Stewart Living Magazine
20 thoughts on “Tomato Basil Soup and Grilled Mozzarella Sandwiches”
My and my toddler are coming over – this is our favorite lunch menu and since you already have it made perhaps we’ll just join you? 🙂
Perfect combo! This looks absolutely delicious
Mal @ The Chic Geek
Is it bad that I just want to skip the soup and dive right into the grilled cheese??? Those are incredible looking…I have never done grilled cheese with eggs before…I’m thinking it’s about time:-)
Oh, yum! My lunch for today! Thanks for such a good idea!
It sounds so DUH-no-brainer, but I’ve never thought to use mozzarella in my grilled cheese sammies before! I guess I’ve always been a Kraft grilled cheese kinda kid-turned-woman and never thought outside the box. It reminds me of a mozzarella stick with creamy homemade tomato soup. YUM!
Loving the new header. Looks perfect for fall!
That grilled cheese looks fantastic!
Total comfort food combination.
Yup – I agree with Michelle…my thoughts exactly. TOTAL COMFORT FOOD COMBO! What an interesting sandwich! And I adore grilled cheese with tomato soup. If I come over will you fix this for me? =)
You can get best food deals, food discounts, food coupons and much more on many food items in very reasonable prices only on dealaboo.com
Love our new look. This soup looks delicious and so does the grilled cheese. My favorite combination.
Glad I found this recipe! I saw it on Pinterest but it took me to dailysouprecipe.com which looked like a fishy site and no pictures. I saw your blog name on the picture and that is how I found it. Looks really good! I have a bunch of frozen cherry tomatoes I need to use asap so I am thinking of roasting them.
I made this soup with the grilled mozzarella cheese sandwich. I loved them both! The soup was very easy to make as well as the sandwiches. Thanks for the recipe!
Tomato Basil Soup recipe is not for me, it tasted like eating tomato sauce. The grilled cheese is a great recipe though! 🙂
Totally Delicious!!! My son & I love the soup. Hubby was not a fan. I agree it was thick & tasted like a marinara sauce. The second time we made it I used 2 cans to tomatoes & 3 cups of brother & that did the trick. LOVE LOVE LOVE grill cheese this way. We use a combo of fresh mozzarella & Borden Single Sensations 3 cheese italiano. The whole meal reminds me of mozzarella sticks & dip. YUMMM
Our temps dropped 20 degrees today so I thought this soup would be great to make. It was delicious!!!!! Best tomato soup I’ve ever made at home! And the grilled cheese. Wow, Home run! We love your blog 😀
Tried and true! Hubby liked it and even said it was comparable to the tomato basil soup he buys from Vons! Of course he could be ecstatic that I was 1) cooking, and 2) testing out a new recipe (and sticking to it), and 3) did I mention cooking?