There’s nothing quite like a bowl of Tomato Basil Soup with a grilled cheese sandwich to dunk in it. This meal is comfort food at it’s finest!
This Tomato Basil Soup is the bomb. It has amazing flavor, and is so comforting. The only thing I thought would make it even better…
Grilled cheese. Oh yes, a warm and delightful crispy on the outside, and cheese on the inside, grilled cheese!
Mozzarella grilled cheese sandwiches to be exact.
Dip these babies in that tomato soup, and you will be a happy camper, my friends.
Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces, each) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 large fresh basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic. Stir and cook for 30 seconds. Add onion. Stir and cook until translucent. About 6 or so minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes (undrained) chicken broth and sugar. Stir and bring to a low simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until soup thickens a bit.
- Stir in heavy cream, chopped basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender (or carefully transfer soup to a blender. If you use a blender be very careful handling this very hot soup), puree soup until there are no large chunks left.
- Serve soup in bowls with the grilled Mozzarella cheese sandwiches. Enjoy!
Grilled Mozzarella Sandwiches
- 1 pound fresh whole milk Mozzarella cut into thin slices
- 8 1/2 inch thick firm white sandwich bread slices
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon course salt
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place 2-4 slices of mozzarella on 4 pieces of bread. Top with other pieces of bread to form sandwiches.
- In a wide shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the half & half, thyme, salt and nutmeg. Whisk well to combine.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and cook until sizzling stops.
- Dip 2 of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning to coat. Place sandwiches in the pan and cook until golden brown on the first side ( about 2 minutes). Flip over and brown on the other side.
- Transfer sandwiches to a platter and repeat process with other 2 sandwiches.
- Cut sandwiches in half, and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from: Martha Stewart Living Magazine