Tender barbecue chicken, black beans, corn and more come together to make this delicious BBQ Chicken Salad! It’s packed full of different flavors and textures to give you a salad that is unlike the rest!
Salads are one of those recipes that I love to have whenever I’m in need of an easy, throw-everything-together kind of lunch or dinner. They can be assembled in a matter of minutes and are usually healthy-as long as you don’t drench it in a ton of fattening dressings.
I personally like to do light drizzles of dressing over my salads. That way, all of the flavors within the salad have a chance to really stand out. 🙂
What really makes this BBQ chicken salad like no other is that you make the barbecue chicken in the slow cooker! A few hours before you plan on making the salad simply throw the chicken breasts into the slow cooker, add some barbecue sauce, and by time you’re ready to assemble the salad you have tender, flavor-packed chicken ready to toss in!
Of course, if you’d just prefer to make it in the skillet or even grill it, feel free to do so! That is the quicker way to make the chicken. 🙂
To really bring out the barbecue flavor, you can even mix together equal parts barbecue sauce and ranch to serve as the dressing. A little does go a long way though, so to ensure that you taste the other components, like the fresh cilantro and red onion, I wouldn’t go too heavy on the dressing.
But, if you’re the type of person that loves to load on the dressings, who am I to stop you? It is your salad after all, so dress it up however you like!
Want more delicious salad recipes? Try these:
BBQ Chicken Salad
A healthy and delicious BBQ Chicken salad that is packed with flavor!
Servings 4 -6
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups prepared barbecue sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- FOR SALAD:
- 3 hearts Romaine lettuce, rinsed then chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bag (10 ounces) frozen corn, cooked
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Tortilla strips
- Barbecue sauce
- Salad dressing of choice (I love to use ranch dressing)
- Place chicken breasts in a greased insert of a medium to large crock pot. Season with just a bit of salt and pepper. Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 hours, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.Carefully remove chicken from crock pot and place in a large bowl. Shred chicken with two forks.Pour barbecue sauce over the chicken and toss to coat chicken in sauce.
- To assemble the salad, place chopped romaine lettuce in a very large salad bowl OR in individual bowls. Top with barbecue chicken, beans, corn, tomato, cheese, onion and cilantro.Top salad with tortilla strips, more barbecue sauce (if desired) and dressing of choice. Gently toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!