Cheddar cheese, broccoli florets, and homemade cream of chicken soup all come together to create this creamy Broccoli Cheese Casserole. Make it as a side dish for any holiday feast or for a simple weeknight dinner!
There’s always certain dishes that seem to make appearances year after year on our Thanksgiving menu. My Broccoli Cheese Casserole is definitely one of them. I mean, how can you resist fresh broccoli florets covered in a creamy mixture of melty cheddar, Greek yogurt, and a homemade condensed chicken soup? You just can’t!
It’s recipes, such as this one, that will continue to be spotted among the array of other side dishes at our holiday feasts. This casserole is so delicious and has comfort written all over it. 🙂
If you’re wanting to really wow your family with this casserole, then you could add a layer of crispy, buttery, and salty crackers over the top. This will add an incredible crunch that may just get those broccoli skeptics to stop turning up their noses and finally convert to broccolism (a term I like to use for those of us who just love broccoli).
Okay, I actually don’t use that term, like ever. I may or may not have totally made it up just now, but I think you get where I was going with it. 😀
If you’re looking to serve this casserole on a weeknight and are in need of something to pair it with I have some great ideas! My Chicken Piccata, Crock Pot Turkey and Gravy, or Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Ham are all delicious options that will leave you with a stellar meal that the whole family will adore!
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk, divided (I use 2%)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups cooked and chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese (I use mild cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine chicken broth and 1/4 cup milk in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour and seasonings together. Pour in remaining milk. Whisk until smooth and no lumps remain. (Mixture will be thick.)
- Pour the flour/milk mixture into the saucepan with the broth mixture. Whisk and stir constantly as mixture simmers. Continue to let simmer until mixture is smooth and thick. (Around 5 minutes or so.) Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes to slightly cool.
- In a large bowl, add cooked broccoli, soup mixture, yogurt and onion. Gently mix to combine everything. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Spread out evenly. Top with grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until hot, bubbly and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and serve warm. Enjoy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
6 thoughts on “Broccoli Cheese Casserole”
Can you use sour cream instead of yogurt?
Yes you can. It will give it a tangier flavor, but it will work.
can you add rice to this?
I think you could add cooked rice to this with delicious results! If I were to do it I would add only 1 to 2 cups cooked rice. Stir it in when you stir the broccoli and soup mixture together then bake as directed. 🙂
can I make this a day ahead?
Yes! Just make as directed, but don’t bake it yet. Cover and store in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it/serve it. It will need a little extra time to warm through in the oven though. 🙂