Cafe Rio Sweet Pork recipe is full of delicious sweet flavor. It goes perfectly in burritos, tacos, salads and so much more!
I already know what you’re thinking. Does the food blog world really need another Café Rio recipe? Well, my answer is YES. A big fat huge YES because this Cafe Rio Sweet Pork recipe is phenomenal, and I don’t throw that word around too much. 🙂
My hubby is the biggest sweet pork fan. Every single time we eat at Café Rio, he orders the sweet pork salad. He just loves it. I usually order the fire-grilled chicken, but I always seem to ask Kale if I can have a bite of his! haha.
About 2 years ago I started making the sweet pork at home, and it just never tasted right. So I’ve been experimenting with different versions and this one is the one we feel tastes closest to the real thing. It is so sweet, so delicious. It literally melts in your mouth. There’s no need to marinate the pork, like other recipes. I skipped out on doing it this time, and I could not tell a difference at all.
This pork is SO flavorful! It’s perfect in burritos, tacos and salads. We love to place a tortilla on a plate, then top it with black beans, rice and the sweet pork, just like Café Rio does. Try this Creamy Cilantro Dressing to pour over the top. It is heaven!
MORE PORK RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- 3 pound pork shoulder/butt roast
- 16 ounces Coca-Cola soda, divided (do not use diet soda. You need the regular soda for the sugar in it)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Spray inside of a large crock pot with cooking spray. Place pork roast inside. Pour 8 ounces of Coca-Cola ( I used a measuring cup) and water around pork. (It does not need to cover roast) Sprinkle evenly with garlic salt, salt and pepper. Cover with lid and cook on high heat for 6 hours OR cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove pork from crock pot and transfer to cutting board. Discard liquid from crock pot. Shred pork with two forks, and remove any fat.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the remaining 8 ounces Coca-Cola, diced green chilies, enchilada sauce and brown sugar. Blend until smooth.
- Place shredded pork back in crock pot. Pour enchilada sauce mixture over the shredded pork. Cover crock pot with lid and cook another 1 to 2 hours on low heat.
- Serve pork in burritos, salads and tacos!