Chicken Pot Pie is a savory pie filled with a delicious chicken and vegetable filling. With a buttery, flaky pie crust you can’t help but be reminded of home with every bite.
The first word that comes to mind when someone says chicken pot pie is always ‘comfort’, and it’s no surprise why. You can’t get much more comforting than a flaky pie crust that encases a creamy filling of chicken and veggies. Mmmm, just typing that makes my mouth water!
Chicken Pot Pie sounds like it could be a complicated recipe, but mine is not. I use a few teaks that helps save on time, but does not lack in flavor!
Not in the mood to make, roll out, and assemble a pie crust? Then just use a pre-made one! There’s no shame in doing so…because I totally use one too. 🙂
While I don’t mind making a homemade pie crust every now and then, sometimes you can’t help but yearn for simplicity. You know what I mean?
I get Pillsbury’s help by using one of their yummy refrigerated pie crusts, but if you’re in the mood to make your own then definitely do!
To make it even easier I use a bag of frozen veggies. No need to wash and spend time cutting up a bunch of veggies. I also sometimes use a Rotisserie chicken OR just cook my chicken in advance. I just store it in the fridge until I’m ready to make this yummy pie.
This recipe also makes for a great post-holiday meal! Use that leftover turkey after Thanksgiving to replace the chicken for one scrumptious turkey pot pie! I’ve done that plenty of times and it is pretty amazing!
Now go get this pie in the oven, then grab your family to sit down at the dinner table to enjoy this divine Chicken Pot Pie!
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Chicken Pot Pie Baked Potato
Crock Pot Turkey and Gravy
Chicken & Stuffing Bake
Stuffing-Topped Pork Chops
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pound cooked boneless chicken breasts OR use a Rotisserie chicken
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (OR one chicken bouillon cube)
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups frozen veggies mix (carrots, peas, green beans and corn)
- 2 (9-inch) pie crusts (I use Pillsbury's refrigerated pie crusts)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Season the cooked chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste. Chop chicken into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add butter, chopped onion and celery. Over medium-high heat, cook onion and celery in the butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, dried thyme, garlic powder and chicken bouillon. Stir until all combined.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low heat. Let simmer until mixture thickens. Once thickened, add the chopped chicken and frozen veggies. (No need to thaw veggies first.) Gently stir to combine everything.
- Place one pie crust in the bottom of a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Pour the filling mixture over the bottom crust. Cover with top crust and seal the edges. Cut a couple slits in the top to let the heat escape while baking.
- Bake 30 minutes or until pie crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. (You may need to place a sheet of tin foil over the top during the last 10 minutes to prevent from browning too fast.)Remove pie from oven and let stand about 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve warm and enjoy!
5 thoughts on “Chicken Pot Pie”
Can you use almond milk for the milk in this recipe?
I have not tried it, so I really can’t say for sure. I assume it could work, but again, I have not tried it.
Hi Holly, I waS wondering if I could make your pot pie RECIPE earlier in the day and if it would be good at dinner time? Thanks, Terri
Terri, I made this last night and i AM CURRENTLY EATING FOR LUNCH. THE CRUST IS A LITTLE SOFT IN SOME AREAS BUT IT STILL TASTES REALLY GOOD!
So good! The sauce came together so quickLy and had such good flavor!