The combination of fresh veggies and Parmesan cheese in this Creamy Pasta Primavera is incredible. This comforting pasta dish will become a family favorite. It’s healthy and delicious!
Before I describe how heavenly this Creamy Pasta Primavera is, I have a little story to tell. One hundred years ago I was a vegetarian. 😉 Well, it feels like one hundred years ago, but it was more like 18 years ago.
When I was in my early twenties I read the book “Diet for a New America” by Jon Robbins. His family owned the famous ice cream shop Baskin & Robbins. The book went into great detail about animal cruelty in slaughter houses and what these owners do to fatten up the animals to sell more meat. It was the most awful and eye opening book I’ve ever read.
After reading only two chapters I swore off meat completely and vowed to never eat it again.
Meat-free is how I ate for well over a year. I researched vegetarianism and taught myself how to get enough protein in my diet with vegetables, beans and rice. That entire year I lived a super healthy lifestyle until in the end it turned in to a bit too much.
I started exercising twice a day where it got to the point it was obsessive and I lost a lot of weight. My menstrual cycle even stopped. Honestly, I was really unhappy in the relationship I was in and this was a way to “control” what I couldn’t in the relationship. (I’m not sure why I am going so deep into this, but I guess I’ll keep going.)
Slowly I began to realize it was becoming a problem. I cut down on the exercise and added animal-based protein in my diet. I started with only organic meats like chicken and it was amazing how much better I felt.
Now I am NOT knocking anyone on a vegetarian diet. This is just my story. If anything, I praise you if it works for you! For me it didn’t, but I will say I do like to make meatless meals for my family. I actually think it would be good for everyone to eat a meat-free meal more often.
Adding lots of veggies to a dish can make it so amazing. This CREAMY PASTA PRIMAVERA is just that and more. It has become a favorite in my home! The combo of the veggies and fresh Parmesan cheese alone makes this dish super comforting AND healthy.
Love pasta? Try these amazing pasta dishes:
Creamy Pasta Primavera
- 1 pound linguine pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large carrots diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 head broccoli cut into small florets
- 2 small zucchinis (or 1 large) cut in half lengthwise then cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed then sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper seeds removed then sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 orange bell pepper seeds removed then sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons basil paste or 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add linguine pasta to water and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add diced carrots to heated oil. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until carrots are softened. Add broccoli and zucchini to skillet. Stir and cook another 3 minutes. Then add all the bell peppers. Continue to cook and stir vegetables for another 5 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and basil paste (or fresh basil). Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. Turn heat off and remove skillet from burner.
- Drain water from linguine. Return linguine back to the pot and add the cooked vegetables, heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Carefully fold and stir to combine everything. Season again with salt and pepper. Serve warm with extra basil and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!