Creamy Tomatillo Dressing is a delicious dressing perfect for drizzling over salads, burritos, tacos and more! Teeming with Mexican flavors and a slight kick of spice, this flavorful dressing makes the ultimate household staple.
If you love ranch dressing as much as my family does, then you’ll absolutely love this Creamy Tomatillo Dressing! From the fresh tomatillos and citrusy lime to the tangy cilantro and creamy buttermilk, it is truly to die for. By simply placing all your ingredients into a blender and blending until smooth, you can have a vibrant, creamy tomatillo dressing ready to go in no time.
This copycat recipe is just like the one from Cafe Rio, if not better. It’s full of fresh ingredients, simple to make and most importantly, delicious! Whether you use it as a dip for your veggies, over the top of your favorite Mexican dishes, or as a dressing for your salads, you can’t go wrong.
WHAT ARE TOMATILLOS?
Tomatillos are small, green fruits that are similar to a tomato. They have a leafy husk that covers the entirety of the fruit. In Spanish, this fruit means “little tomato” and is commonly used in Mexican cuisine. These fruits can be eaten either raw or cooked but are typically cooked so the tartness mellows out.
Other names you may hear these fruits called are:
- Mexican husk tomato
- Mexican groundcherry
- Large-flowered tomatillo
- Husk Tomato
ARE TOMATILLOS SPICY?
Despite what you may think, tomatillos are actually not spicy. They are slightly acidic and not as sweet as your traditional tomato. They have a more bright and vegetal taste with a dense, less watery interior.
DO YOU HAVE TO USE TOMATILLOS?
It is very important to use the tomatillos. It’s what gives the dressing their specific flavor and color. If you were to use a different tomato, it would result in a completely different dressing.
INGREDIENTS FOR CREAMY TOMATILLO DRESSING
- Tomatillos: For that unique and wonderful taste.
- Jalapeno: What gives it that spicy punch.
- Cilantro: Adds a bright, tangy flavor.
- Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix: Essential for ranch-like flavoring.
- Buttermilk: Gives the dressing a thicker and creamier texture.
- Garlic: For even more flavor.
- Lime Juice: Adds a refreshing, citrusy tang to the dressing.
HOW LONG DOES THE DRESSING STAY GOOD FOR?
If it’s refrigerated and covered, it can stay good for up to two weeks. Keep in mind that the longer the dressing sits, the more flavorful it gets!
TIPS FOR THE BEST TOMATILLO DRESSING
- Make sure to use buttermilk: this ingredient is essential. Not only does it make the dressing taste better but creates a creaminess that can’t be beat.
- Refrigerate before serving: The longer you let a dressing sit, the more flavorful it gets! When you let it sit and refrigerate, it allows the dressing to thicken up and those tasty flavors become more vibrant.
- Use a Jalapeno: If you like a bit more heat, then just throw in a whole jalapeno, seeds, and all! If you like only a mild heat, make sure to take out the seeds and white membranes.
LOOKING FOR RECIPES TO PAIR WITH THIS CREAMY TOMATILLO DRESSING? TRY OUT THESE TASTY DISHES!
Crisp Bean Burritos: tasty, deep-fried burritos filled with cheesy refried beans all wrapped inside a flour tortilla.
Mexican Street Tacos: authentic tacos filled with tender, marinated steak, and topped with fresh cilantro and red onion.
Oven Baked Honey Lime Chicken Tacos: delicious tacos full of honey and lime flavors that pair perfectly with the seasoned chicken and pepper-jack cheese!
Chicken Chimichangas: flavorful chimichangas filled with shredded chicken and Monterey jack cheese.
Sweet Pork Quesadillas: savory, sweet, shredded pork and loads of cheddar and Monterey jack cheese between two crispy flour tortillas.
Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
- 2 small tomatillos (green Mexican husk tomatoes)
- 1/2 to 1 small jalapeno (ribs and seeds removed, then chopped)
- 1 cup cilantro (measure then chop)
- 1 (1 ounce) packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup mayo
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Remove husks from tomatillos. Chop into small pieces. Place in blender or food processor.
- Add all the other remaining ingredients to the blender. Cover with lid. Blend until combined and smooth.
- Pour dressing in a container and cover tightly with lid. Refrigerate at least 2 hours to chill before serving.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!