This wonderful French Toast Bake needs to make an appearance at your breakfast table. Pieces of sour dough bread are covered in a milky egg and sugar mixture then baked to perfection! The cinnamon-crumble topping is the best part!
I’ve made the same Christmas morning breakfast for the past 15 years. Mom’s Breakfast Bake and our favorite Cinnamon Rolls. My family loves it and I do too, but I thought it was time to change things up this year! 😀
That being said, let me introduce to you FRENCH TOAST BAKE aka. the most wonderful and easy way to make french toast! 🙂 This stuff is fabulous, my friends. The flavor and texture are just perfect. Think of it as french toast and cinnamon rolls combined into one amazing breakfast cake!
I love that it can be prepped the night before, so all you do is pop it in the oven when you’re ready for breakfast. Stress-free and yummy food is what I’m all about!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE MORE OF MY FAVORITE BREAKFAST IDEAS!
French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf sourdough or french bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with butter. Cut bread into cubes and then evenly distribute in the pan.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover tightly and store in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add nutmeg if desired. Add butter pieces and cut them into the dry mixture until mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a Ziploc in the fridge.
- When ready to bake the casserole, preheat oven to 350° F. Remove casserole from the fridge and sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture. Bake 1 hour or more for a firmer, less liquid texture.
- Scoop out individual portions. Top with powdered sugar and maple syrup.