I’ve made the same Christmas morning breakfast for the past 10 years. Mom’s Breakfast Bake and our favorite Cinnamon Rolls. My family loves it and I do too, but I thought it was time to change things up this year! 😀
That being said, let me introduce to you FRENCH TOAST BAKE aka. the most wonderful and easy way to make french toast! 🙂 This stuff is fabulous, my friends. The flavor and texture are just perfect. Think of it as french toast and cinnamon rolls combined into one amazing breakfast cake!
I love that it can be prepped the night before, so all you do is pop it in the oven when you’re ready for breakfast. Stress-free and yummy food is what I’m all about!
French Toast Bake
An incredibly easy and delicious way to make french toast!
- 1 loaf sourdough or french bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into pieces
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with butter. Cut bread into cubes and then evenly distribute in the pan.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover tightly and store in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add nutmeg if desired. Add butter pieces and cut them into the dry mixture until mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a Ziploc in the fridge.
- When ready to bake the casserole, preheat oven to 350° F. Remove casserole from the fridge and sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture. Bake 1 hour or more for a firmer, less liquid texture.
- Scoop out individual portions. Top with powdered and drizzle with maple syrup.