Delicious Shredded Apple Pie that almost melts in your mouth! Serve with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream for the best dessert ever!
I received special permission to post this recipe on my blog, so you all should feel pretty special right now! haha. 😉 This is without a doubt the BEST APPLE PIE you will ever eat. Period.
This delicious Shredded Apple Pie was served at the best restaurant here in Southern Utah, Rococo’s Steakhouse. I’m sure you’ve heard me talk about it before. I worked there through out high school and the owners, the Sullivan family, are my families long time friends. 🙂
Instead of diced apples, like most apple pies have in them, the apples in this pie are shredded with a cheese grater. It makes every bite so soft, and almost melts in your mouth. We would warm up each piece and drizzle the tops with caramel sauce and have a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. It is incredible!
Shredded Apple Pie was one of the most requested desserts up there. I say ‘up there’ because Rococo sat on top of the black hill, overlooking our beautiful city. The view was amazing, especially at night when all the city lights were on. Customers would always request window tables so they could enjoy the view while they ate. There are so many reasons I miss that place and am still so sad it closed it’s doors.
For that reason, I am SO happy I wrote down the recipe one night at work. I made this at home the first Thanksgiving Kale and I were married, and have made it every year since. It’s become a Thanksgiving tradition at our house. This is the kind of recipe I will pass on to my kids, and I hope that they will pass it on to their children. It is that good!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS PIE RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Shredded Apple Pie
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- tiny pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium Red Delicious Apples, peeled then grated with a cheese grater (about 2 ½ cups of grated apple)
- 1 Unbaked frozen deep-dish pie shell I like to use Marie Callenders frozen deep dish pie shells
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (*After you grate the apples, you can squeeze out or strain any excess liquid they create.)
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and eggs with an electric hand mixer on medium speed. Beat until combined.
- Fold in the shredded apples. Pour mixture into the unbaked pie shell and spread out evenly. Place pie on a large cookie sheet.
- Bake pie for 65 minutes or until golden-brown and mostly set. (You may need to cover the top of pie with a piece of tinfoil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent from burning the top. That is what I always do.)
- Carefully remove from oven. Let pie cool and set 1 hour before serving. Serve each slice of pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzles of caramel sauce. Enjoy!