Tender and flavor packed chicken is folded into warm tortillas and smothered with a creamy salsa-verde ranch dressing. These Smothered Chicken Burritos will only leave you wanting more!
You guys, these burritos. I’m utterly and totally obsessed with them. Flavor-packed burritos loaded with shredded chicken, rice and beans then smothered in THE BEST salsa verde dressing you’ll ever taste. Yep, you’re welcome. 🙂
You all know Mexican food is my fave so I LOVE celebrating Cinco de Mayo. I really don’t know every detail of why we celebrate it (I believe it’s the victory over the battle of Puebla. It’s not their Independence Day), but any holiday that lets me eat all the Mexican food is a great holiday to me. 😉
If you are a huge fan of this gloriously tasty and flavorful food too then you will love these burritos. Not only are they pretty to look at (which is always a plus) but they are so fantastic. I could drink the dressing alone it’s so good and it is what makes these burritos the best!
P.S. I have a few more Mexican recipes coming over the next week I know you’ll love ♥
Smothered Chicken Burritos
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice (spanish rice, lime rice or whatever your favorite is)
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup bottled salsa verde (green salsa)
- 2 Tablespoons dried ranch dressing/seasoning mix
- 1/3 cup cilantro measure then chop
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- For Burritos: Season chicken breasts with cumin, taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Bake in a 375° F. oven for 35 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven. Let stand 5 minutes then shred with two forks. Set aside.
- While chicken is cooking make the sauce: Add all of the sauce ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- To assemble burritos: Divide the chicken evenly among the 6 tortillas. Add a scoop of rice and pinto beans to each one. Fold up the bottom of tortillas up over filling, fold in sides, then roll all the way up. Place prepared burritos in a greased 9×13 inch pan.
- Pour sauce evenly over the tops of burritos then top with shredded cheese. Place back in the 375° oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy with pico de gallo, if desired!