Baked Mac and Cheese is comfort food at its finest! Tender macaroni is tossed in a homemade cheese sauce that everyone will love!
This recipe is one for all ages! There are very few recipes out there that everyone is sure to get behind regarding age or palate. My Baked Mac and Cheese is a recipe made in mind for everyone to fall in love with. There is something so nostalgic about Macaroni and Cheese that ties into whatever kind of upbringing you may have had. This recipe is sure to create incredible memories for your kids and will send you right back to your 8-year-old self, enjoying a warm bowl of noodles covered in gooey cheese.
BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
This isn’t your boxed macaroni and cheese. This recipe is intended to take it all the way to become a homemade decadence. Tender macaroni noodles are baked in a creamy cheese sauce. Seasonings, sharp cheddar, and cream cheese bring the flavor profile to life as you whisk together this amazing cheese sauce. It doesn’t take a degree from Le Cordon Blue to make this incredible dish. Just a little bit of time, patience, and a whole lot of cheese!
INGREDIENTS FOR BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
- 1 pound macaroni
- Velveeta cheese
- Cream cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
HOW DO I MAKE BAKED MAC AND CHEESE?
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook macaroni according to the directions on the package. When noodles are al dente, drain them from the water then spread out evenly in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
Meanwhile, in a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour to the pot and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add cream cheese and Velveeta cheese. Stir until smooth.
Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups sharp cheddar. Pour cheese mixture all over the cooked macaroni in the pan. Gently toss to cover the macaroni. Sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot, bubbly and the cheese on top is all melted. Carefully remove from the oven and let it stand 10 minutes before serving.
HOW MANY SERVINGS DOES THIS MAKE?
This recipe yields about 8 servings per pan. Let that come with a disclaimer though. This is such a rich, cheesy, indulgent recipe that you may be able to get more servings out of one pan depending on how you serve it. If this is the main course for dinner then 6 to 8 servings is the standard. If making this as a side dish you can stretch that to 12 servings per pan.
CAN I MAKE BAKED MAC AND CHEESE GLUTEN FREE?
Yes! Simply substitute the macaroni noodle for your favorite brand of gluten free noodle. Make sure to check the cooking time as it may differ from a traditional noodle. When making the cheese sauce substitute almond flour, or another gluten free grain, in place of the all-purpose flour. This will ensure that everyone gets to have their mac and cheese and eat it too!
DOES BAKED MAC AND CHEESE REHEAT WELL?
Absolutely! Some might even say that it is better the next day when all the cheesy goodness has time to marry and settle. Store the leftovers covered in the baking dish in the fridge. To reheat just preheat the oven and place the baking dish back in the oven. This saves on mess and keeps everything together.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE CHEESY FAVORITES!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Cheese Tortellini – Tender sausage is mixed with cheese filled tortellini in a creamy sauce that is rich and aromatic.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole – Broccoli florets baked with tons of melted cheddar that creates a great side dish for all dinners.
Cheesesteak Sliders – Personal cheesesteak sandwiches with tender beef, peppers, onions, and melted cheese.
Cheesy Lasagna Rolls Ups – Lasagna noodles are rolled up with tomato sauce, beef, and plenty of melted mozzarella cheese.
Baked Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound (16 ounces) macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook macaroni according to the directions on the package. When noodles are al dente, drain water then spread out evenly in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over the melted butter and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add Velveeta cheese and cream cheese. Stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the sharp cheddar cheese. Pour cheese mixture all over the cooked macaroni in the pan. Gently toss to coat the macaroni. Sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot, bubbly and the cheese on top is all melted. Carefully remove from the oven and let it stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!