Mexican Pizza is filled with seasoned ground beef, refried beans, melty cheese and enchilada sauce stuffed between two flour tortillas. These personal pizzas are a fun twist on the classic!
If you love Mexican food and indulging in a warm, gooey slice of pizza on occasion then you are in the right place. These Mexican Pizzas are the best of both worlds, combining the bold flavors and textures of classic Mexican dishes with the beloved American staple: pizza!
These indulgent Mexican Pizzas start out with a crisp flour tortilla topped with refried beans, a seasoned ground beef mixture and another crispy tortilla. Zesty enchilada sauce is then spread over the top followed by a sprinkling of cheddar and pepper-jack cheese, diced tomato, green onion and olives. To make the cheese all melty and bubbly, the pizza is placed in the oven for 5 minutes, creating a warm, gooey Mexican Pizza ready to be devoured!
They are rich in flavor, come together easily and are perfect for those ‘make your own pizza’ nights. You can also tweak the recipe so you can serve to a larger crowd or for a single serving if it’s just for one!
WAYS TO CUSTOMIZE MEXICAN PIZZA
These pizzas are easily customizable. Try out a few of these options to add that little extra something.
Enchilada Sauce: not a fan of red enchilada sauce? Green chile enchilada sauce is just as tasty.
Tortilla: to take things to the next level, try using corn tortillas instead.
Cheese: you can honestly use whatever cheese you prefer, but adding a sprinkling of Cotija cheese or drizzle of Queso Blanco cheese to the top of your pizza would make for one out of this world experience!
Toppings: you can top your pizza with whatever you prefer! Sour cream, shredded lettuce, black beans or salsa would all be delicious options.
Rice: as well as having a bean layer, you could also try adding a layer of rice. My Mexican Rice would be amazing on these.
CAN YOU USE CHICKEN INSTEAD OF BEEF?
Of course! The taco seasoning mixture would be just as tasty on shredded chicken. You could also try out ground turkey too.
CAN YOU DEEP FRY THE TORTILLAS?
You certainly can! I bake the tortillas to reduce calories and keep things a little cleaner, but deep frying them would be amazing. They would be extra crispy- and extra tasty.
HOW LONG DO MEXICAN PIZZAS LAST?
If you store them in the fridge in an airtight container they will last a day or two, but I wouldn’t go longer than that.
LOOKING FOR OTHER KINDS OF PIZZA? TRY OUT THESE SIMILAR RECIPES!
Margherita Flatbread Pizza: Roma tomatoes, fresh basil, grated Mozzarella cheese, and a hint of garlic come together for this show-stopping pizza!
BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizza: A flavorful pizza smothered with barbecue sauce and loaded with chicken, cheese, cilantro and red onion.
Chicken Taco Pizza: A delicious pizza loaded with seasoned chicken, refried beans, cheese and more!
Sheet Pan Chicken Alfredo Pizza: a simple homemade pizza dough topped with creamy Alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, bacon and Mozzarella cheese.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 packet (1 ounce) taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 medium-size flour tortillas
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese
- 1 Roma tomato diced
- 1 green onion diced
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Take 2 baking sheets and spray them with non-stick spray. Place 3 tortillas on each baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, then carefully flip tortillas over while they’re still in the oven (*don’t burn yourself please*) and bake another 2 to 5 minutes to crisp on the other side. You want tortillas a slight golden color. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook and crumble ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain grease. Add taco seasoning and water. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the refried beans until warmed through. Spread a thin layer of beans on one tortilla. Top with 1/3 of the meat mixture. Place another tortilla on top of the meat. Spread 3 Tablespoons of enchilada sauce on top of the top tortilla. Sprinkle with some cheddar cheese and pepper-jack cheese. Add a few dices of tomato, green onion and olives.
- Repeat process with the remaining tortillas. You will have 3 Mexican pizzas total.
- Place pizzas on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand to cool slightly before slicing and serving. Enjoy ♥