Tacos are my ultimate weakness. I eat them more than any normal person should. I love ALL kinds of tacos, especially “Street Tacos”. These Chicken Street Tacos were inspired from a trip to Disneyland we took at Christmas time. I tried them at a restaurant in downtown Disney, so they weren’t technically ‘street’, but they were so freakin’ delicious I had to come home and create them for my family. I mean, for me. 😉
Let me explain how phenomenal these tacos are. You start off seasoning some chicken with a super simple spice combo, then grill it up on a skillet or grill pan. Easy peasy. Next, grab some fresh corn tortillas (or whatever corn tortillas you have available) and load them up with the grilled chicken, chopped purple cabbage (it gives the tacos an amazing crunch), chopped onion, cilantro and some Cotija cheese. 😀 Gah! SO GOOD, my friends. I think I ate 4 in one sitting…
What really made these tacos extra delicious, was the Creamy Tomatillo Dressing I poured all over them. It gave the tacos a perfect dressing to finish them off. PLEASE, do yourselves a favor and make these. They’d be a perfect dinner to make on Cinco de Mayo!
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped purple cabbage
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1 recipe for Creamy Tomatillo Dressing (search for the recipe on my blog)
- 12 small corn tortillas
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Spray heavily with cooking spray.
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness or cut in half lengthwise to form thinner cutlets. They'll cook more evenly this way.
- Combine salt, ground cumin, chili, garlic and onion powder together in a small bowl. Season both sides of all chicken breasts generously with spice mixture.
- When skillet is nice and hot, add 3 chicken breasts and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until chicken is completely cooked in the center. ( You don't want to overcrowd the pan, so cook chicken in 2 batches)
- Once chicken is cooked, transfer to a large cutting board and cut into bite-size strips.
- Meanwhile, heat the corn tortillas in the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds to warm up.
- To assemble tacos, add some chicken down the center of one corn tortilla. Add a couple Tablespoons each of chopped cilantro, raw onion and purple cabbage. Sprinkle the top with a little Cotija cheese and Creamy Tomatillo dressing.
- Repeat with all chicken, tortillas and toppings. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Serves 4 (3 Tacos per serving)
- *This recipe easily doubles and triples, as needed.
- *You can bake the seasoned chicken in a 375 F° oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.