Coffee Cake is a buttery and cinnamon-sugar filled cake with a crumbly streusel topping. Pair this melt-in-your-mouth treat with a cup of coffee for breakfast or serve for dessert!
I have to ask, is there anything better than a slice of indulgent cake for breakfast? Because if there is, I haven’t found it yet. There’s no way anything could beat sinking your teeth into a warm, soft, and cinnamon filled cake first thing in the morning. Which is why, on occasion, I allow myself that delicious indulgence with this Coffee Cake recipe! 😄
I used to buy Costco’s Coffee Cake muffins, and let me just tell you, those things are absolutely to die for! They’re actually what inspired me to create my own version. No offense to Costco or anything, but ever since I made this homemade Coffee Cake recipe, I’ve never gone back. It seriously is way too good!
My absolute favorite part of the cake though, is the buttery, cinnamon crumb topping! It ties in with the cinnamon-sugar center and ensures you get that cinnamon flavor in every bite. It also adds that little bit of crunch that complements the softness of the cake.
This cake is probably in my top ten favorite treats of all time. I could eat a slice every single day if I let myself. 😉
MORE CAKE RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- CINNAMON-SUGAR SPRINKLE:
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Start with the Crumb Topping: Place flour, brown sugar, cold butter and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter, or two forks, cut butter to mix into the other ingredients. (After a bit of mixing with my pastry cutter, I like to use my hands to mix the ingredients faster.) Continue to mix and press ingredients together until it turns into a crumbly ball. Set aside.
- For the Cinnamon-Sugar Sprinkle: In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside.
- For the Cake: In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk together until combined. Make a well in the center.Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract to the well. Stir until all ingredients are combined. (Be careful not to over mix.) Add melted butter and continue to stir until batter is smooth.
- Pour only 2/3 of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Spread out evenly. Sprinkle the Cinnamon-Sugar Sprinkle evenly over the batter.Pour remaining cake batter on top. Using a butter knife, spread the batter over the sprinkle until it's covered.Using the same knife, make swirls in the cake batter to incorporate together the batter and sprinkle creating swirls.
- Take the Crumb Topping and evenly crumble it all over the top.Bake cake, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.